· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Sand color

1. Default Sand color

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all. For the second time, funny, I swore I'd never do it again, but I'm thinking about switching my 20 gallon FW cycled tank from gravel to sand. I've gone so far as to have purchased the sand, not play sand, supposedly slightly better quality from a big box home improvement store-medium size grain, I would say. My question is this, in my tank I have 6-8 red wagtail platys, two dalmatian mollies a bluish-purple betta and an ivory mystery snail. The back of my tank is bare. When I put the sand in, I've already mixed a sample of it with water, it's just going to look a muddy brown color which I'm not thrilled about. I'm not against buying different or better sand, or even re-homing some or all of my fish. I do like my betta, but, he's a betta, if you know what I mean. Thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did you wash the sand really well before you put it in the water plus how much of each and how long have you waited for the particulates to settle ? Just curious.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the response. I have't removed any of my gravel yet. I just have a bag of sand sitting outside my tank. I am in the mental pre-planning/design stage right now.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, but you said you put some in water and it was rather brown. He's asking about that particular experiment. I don't understand why you would need to rehome any of your fish. They would all do fine with sand. I am currently using an all purpose sand I found at Lowes. Nothing special about it but it does look nice. Light tan color.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default sand

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Yes, but you said you put some in water and it was rather brown. He's asking about that particular experiment. I don't understand why you would need to rehome any of your fish. They would all do fine with sand. I am currently using an all purpose sand I found at Lowes. Nothing special about it but it does look nice. Light tan color.

What I meant was that a just poured a small amount of sand out of the bag, perhaps a tablespoon, into a plastic margarine bowl and added some tap water to it, mixed it up and rinsed it out.

6. Red face

0 Not allowed!
    NOTE: Woah, I necroed this thread, sorry about that. I'll leave the response in case anyone else has the issue though.

If it's the large grain sand that's normally near the play sand, it's the same thing I'm using. It's more like pool filter sand. Mine even had little shells in it, it's neat.
    Anyway, I got 2 50 pound bags and a 5 gallon bucket. I rinsed it in probably 7 or 8 pound batches in the bucket. Each bucketload took a good 10-15 minutes of rinsing for it to run totally clear. I just got comfy and slogged through it, but I had no dust settling in mine at all, aside from the normal "I just dumped all this water in and it's all stirred up" sort of muck. It was gone in an hour or so. Could you rinse really really really well, and temporarily relocate the fish to a smaller tank for a day while you do it?

1 Not allowed!
    I can't find what the actual question is in this thread. From what I can see you have bought some sand and are disappointed that it goes a brown colour when it is wet - is that it? What is the question?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~