• No good stores near by

1 5.88%
  • I don’t have the time to maintain another tank

1 5.88%
  • other (please share)

5 29.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I always wonder about this but (for some reason) never thought to ask

If routine maintenance or perceived complexity is the only thing preventing you from starting up a marine aquarium, then I can easily show you how a marine aquarium can be no more work or hard to understand than a freshwater one (or at least this has been my experience). Those two perceptions held me back until a friend of mine started to explain things to me in simpler terms which really helped me to understand all the things I was trying to research. I would make the same offer to any member here. I think we (the hobbyist) can make things more complex then they need to be sometimes

But it certainly dose cost more for the equipment and livestock. One of the biggest things that I do not like about marine aquariums
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes for me it is the cost. Though at this point I can't afford another tank fresh or salt. I do think that by the time I'm ready for another tank, salt water will be on the table for consideration. I'm patient enough to buy what I can when I can. Tank one month, filter the next, lights two more months after that. So it'll come down to whether or not I want to do it more than I want to do other projects I have in my mind.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I voted money. Did research, bought books, magazines, etc... Started pricing equipment, decided it just wouldn't fit into the budget right now...

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Thanks guys. I always wonder about this but (for some reason) never thought to ask

If routine maintenance or perceived complexity is the only thing preventing you from starting up a marine aquarium, then I can easily show you how a marine aquarium can be no more work or hard to understand than a freshwater one (or at least this has been my experience). Those two perceptions held me back until a friend of mine started to explain things to me in simpler terms which really helped me to understand all the things I was trying to research. I would make the same offer to any member here. I think we (the hobbyist) can make things more complex then they need to be sometimes

But it certainly dose cost more for the equipment and livestock. One of the biggest things that I do not like about marine aquariums
    The work involved scares me off, so I would love to hear if that is really the case or not. I want to make sure my schedule has time in it to properly care for a SW tank, and what happens if I go away for a vacation for a week or 2. I have friends with FW tanks that assist me, but no one with SW...

0 Not allowed!
    Reason I have not hit my 5 year cycle to own another Reef.

For whatever reason about every 5 years I get the itch to do a marine tank...I always swear it wont be a reef. It ends up being a reef...and after about 2-3 years of maintenance I become bored to tears with it. I then sell off all of the livestock and promise to never do that again. However 2-3 years after saying that I hit my 5 year cycle and do it again with the same results.

I find that Reefs are no more expensive or complicated that a high tech planted...if anything the planted is more expensive IMO. Reefs once established just sort of run themselves. One of the main reasons I get bored with them is probably that reason they take care of themselves...and I also detest mixing SW and having to haul it to and from the tank. I tore my last reef down prior to moving. It has been about 1.5 years since then and it ran for around 2 years. I went through a phase a few months ago of researching...but fortunately nothing manifested from that
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I like looking at saltwater tanks, but I am not at all interested in starting one. Sure it is expensive, yes I don't have room, I honestly have not researched, I do have a LFS that is well equipped, I do think it will be hard (with the salinity, the live rocks, the protein skimmers, the live food, and other challenges I don't even know about), I commute 4+ hours a day so I would not have time to do daily maintenance on the tank (if that is what it needs). My tank is easy to maintain and I love my freshwater planted tanks and will stick with them. I have so many fish to choose from, so much I can do withing freshwater that I am not interested and don't feel a need to jump into the saltwater field.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not old enough to have a job, so no supply of money, no tank.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12