· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default How do you cycle a South Eastern (TN) native species 30G tank?

0 Not allowed!
    With 30 gallons of Chattanooga Creek water. This creek originates at Lookout Mountain and flows down through the valley.
    It is stocked every year with trout and is also home to the many other species includinng the varoius minnow species, darters, bass, and bluegill.

So today my goal was to start a Native Species tank. Without breaking out the 55 gallon just yet! So I went and bought a 30 gallon. I stocked it with 30 gallons of creek water, put in my airstones and a temporary filter until I can get my Penguin biowheels going. Within a few hours my parameters were, Ammo .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate around 10 PPM. Thats some darn good water..

pics coming soon

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    picture uploaded to gallery http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish...cal-c&cat=1254

tank also includes local rock and gravel with a mixture of other existing substrate

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Muahahah! Awesome, a few people here would know I'm nuts about natives set ups. If you have any other questions let me know. Been reading on this stuff for a year now. As far as cycling goes, I'd just cycle like any old tank. Get your filter going and get BB in it. lol You shouldn't have to use creek water all the time though. You can just use tap water at this point. When it is cycled and you put fish in, they aren't going to know the difference.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    I reread your post and I'm wondering why you think it is cycled... because it has nitrates? Or was the temporary filter already seeded with BB?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I was wondering the same thing as Compass and also, what was/is your ammonia source?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I reread your post and I'm wondering why you think it is cycled... because it has nitrates? Or was the temporary filter already seeded with BB?
    My thought that it being cycled was that I brought in all the natural bacteria and elements that came from the creek... (including some grass, decomposing items etc)
    That was a lot of 5 gallon buckets to carry.
    It may not be 100% cycled, but I would think it is probably further along than using tap water and waiting to get a good BB colony?

I'm guessing the ammonia source was naturally occurring from the water..decomposing trees, leaves, other fish and run-off.
    The creek area itself is about 12ft wide at that point and it was low...about 1ft - 4ft deep. schools of juvenile bluegill and baby bass could be seen chasing minnows.

Any info you have as what we can keep as native species will help a lot!
    I've contacted TWA in the past and was told that gamefish...Bass, Bluegill, etc aren't legal to keep if caught...and that non-game fish like Chubs and other minnows are to be kept only for bait and should be used in the same body of water they are caught in (I don't know if the latter is an actual law....or if that's just the recommendation).

now that I think about it..How could that be a law considering there are bait shops and you have no idea what body of water the shiners and minnows come from!
    Last edited by Fishhook; 06-27-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
    and that non-game fish like Chubs and other minnows are to be kept only for bait and should be used in the same body of water they are caught in (I don't know if the latter is an actual law....or if that's just the recommendation).
    It's probably law. It could cause a lot of harm to an ecosystem if you take a few fish from a body of water and accidentally release them into a different body of water and they breed. Might be fine, might throw the natural balance off, not a risk to take.

I would continue the tank cycling until it is completely cycled before adding fish. You can take the time to figure out what small native species are legal to have in your tank.
    Last edited by mommy1; 06-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

3 Not allowed!
    OK, I see what you are saying about the bacteria on the rocks and what not. To be honest I have no idea of the bacteria concentration in a river system, could be a lot, could be a little. I'm leaning towards a little due to the volume of water moving through a given area combined with the number of fish in said area. In a fish tank you will only grow as much bacteria as is needed to consume the ammonia produced. So if you are lightly stocked so is your BB. Heavily stocked, more BB. So all that to say, if the rocks were wet and stayed wet, you should have some BB. But I don't think enough to say the tank is cycled. But maybe enough to kickstart a faster cycle. Get some ammonia in there and get that filter going asap so as not to lose it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    time is on my side .. I have no idea what I'm going to go with right now..I'm hoping Compass can give me some ideas ..wink wink

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Look into darters and shiners. Though be careful and do your research. You collect the wrong one and you'll pay for it. lol I think the warpaint shiner and the tangerine darter are protected. Things like rainbow darters, greenside darters and others would be good. You'll just have to make sure you can ID them before bringing them home.