· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

come on in and sit a spell...welcome - SeaLady Thanks for the thumbs! - Slaphppy7 just because - cm12setx for surrving dinner with in laws - cm12setx doing a great build on your tanks! - SeaLady 
    Heres to new fish!!!! Yay - SeaLady Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    For being my "rock" star, LOL! - Slaphppy7 you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass 

Default Internal filters for low-tech 40 gallon breeder set up

0 Not allowed!
    I am fairly new to this community and have learned a lot already just from reading the forums!

I currently have a 10 gallon freshwater tank with 1 female betta, 3 glowlight tetra, 4 neon tetras, small gravel substrate, a generic 10/20 gallon internal power filter and lighted hood that came with the tank.

Today I bought a 40 gallon breeder tank and hinged glass cover. I also bought a 25 lb bag of smaller gravel and a 16 lb bag of active-flora with the intention of mixing the new substrates all together with the 15 lbs of old small gravel substrate. I intend to buy some egg crate diffuser to put in the bottom of the tank to protect the glass from scratches when placing large decorations.

I haven't decided on a heater yet, but will be looking for one that is submersible and adjustable. I am looking at the 36" Aqueon Colormax T5 light fixture (holds 2 lamps) for the lighting and hoping this will be sufficient for low tech plant growth.

The tank will eventually be stocked with various tetras - neon, glowlight, black neon, black phantom, bloodfin, diamond and maybe flame as well.

My question concerns filters. I was planning on going with a HOB and a submersible filter. However I have discovered that the HOB has the tank and stand sitting too far out from the wall - just enough room for my cat to get behind there. I don't see that ending well. I looked at canister filters, but feel that I will be more comfortable keeping everything inside the tank and hope to use two internal filters - one toward each end of the tank to maximize circulation. My problem is trying to figure out which internal / submersible filters to get. Most seem to come with carbon filters, which I've read aren't good for planted tanks. Are there internal filters that don't have carbon? Can you take out the carbon and put in something else? If you can, what should the something else be? I can't afford to go high end, but I don't want to cheap out either... some low to mid-priced options would be very welcome!

My husband just informed me that I look like I'm typing a manifesto... :-/ I hope this gives enough information and that someone out there can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I have never used an internal filter, but a quick google search popped up that Aqueon has one for a 40g. I used Aqueon HOBs in the past and they are great little engines. Typically you want more filter action than less, so maybe look at what sizes they have and select two according to your desires. If their internal design is anything like the HOB, you should have a decent amount of customization. I believe their filter pads are filled with carbon, but you can cut a slit in the top/bottom to remove it, or buy the uncut filter media and cut to your desired size.

Your lighting should be great for low light. Anubias, (the living plastic plant), crypts, java moss/fern, vals are all plants I started with, with great success, on some basic, ancient Craigslist hood.

Sounds like a fun little tank, I've always wanted a 40g, they have a really pleasant footprint to height ratio.
    2.5g Freshwater
    Anubias, crypt., Java fern
    Giger, blue male crown tail betta

Awards Showcase

come on in and sit a spell...welcome - SeaLady Thanks for the thumbs! - Slaphppy7 just because - cm12setx for surrving dinner with in laws - cm12setx doing a great build on your tanks! - SeaLady 
    Heres to new fish!!!! Yay - SeaLady Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    For being my "rock" star, LOL! - Slaphppy7 you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your response!

I am using the Whisper internal filter (rated for 10/20 gallons) that came with my 10 gallon tank and a Top Fin multi-stage internal filter (rated for up to 40 gallons) for now. The Top Fin was inexpensive and seems to be doing a good job so far. I plan to upgrade the Whisper filter but wanted to use it to help cycle the new tank.

Since my husband and I are both fascinated by pictures of Ta Prohm, Angkur Wat in Cambodia we have visions of an underwater jungle / temple ruins theme. I originally had visions of a rain forest river bed with various tetras. With the switch from South America to Southeast Asia, I am now leaning more toward stocking the tank with rasboras, barbs and danios (although there will be neons and glowlights as I already have them). There may be some OCD tendencies involved in planning the occupants to go with the theme... :-/

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I'd go with a canister, put it in that cabinet below, have 2 holes in the back of the cabinet for the hoses to exit

I have an Eheim 2215 on my 40B and love it...I also have an AC70 HOB but no issues with room behind the tank for it to fit..extra filtration because I have alot of fish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    Your stock will evolve as you go, lol trust me. A 40B is a great tank, a lot of people here have on including myself. I love it. I would look into two things. One would be some of the submersible filters designed by Eheim. Costs more but that is a stand up brand. The other, cheaper alternative requires a little bit of leg work on your part. A Hamburger Mattenfilter. Very popular in europe.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/a-basic...-mattenfilter/

On a side note, if you haven't already purchased your lights I would look into LED lighting. Slaphppy7 is a glorified salesman for some brand named Current USA satellite. Really cool lights, I'm planning on getting them myself. Go for the one rated 36-48 inches. There are of course other brands out there. The reason I bring this up is it will cost you much less in the long run. Higher up front cost but your power usage will be lower and you won't have to change out those expensive T5 lights. Just a suggestion.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the angelfish (?) welcome, Slaphppy7! I have looked at several canister filters, but not quite ready to graduate to those yet. My husband is a bit freaked out about the 40 gallons of water in the living room altogether and was looking very distrustfully at the HOB I'd initially bought. His only experience with fish tanks was the small one at the doctor's office he went to as a child. He's surprised me by offering opinions on the decor. My hope is to get him hooked on the hobby too and thereby expand my options.

We're looking at LED lighting as well at the T5 lights, Compass. The initial price tag for the LEDs is a concern, but I have noticed that the price tags for replacement T5 lights aren't great. Right now I have the lights from the 10 gallon sitting on top of the glass canopy and it's just kind of pitiful. No plants yet, although there might be some crypts in there eventually. :-)

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    You are welcome!...look to the right of your username in your posts, now you have a fish!

I found the idea of a canister intimidating at first, but it's really very easy to use and maintain

Here's the LED I have for my 40B...just love it, I'll have these on all of my tanks from now on: http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa.../dp/B00CMFFMS6

And here's a teaser for you:

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Lighting with a remote control! I am definitely going to have to show that video to the hubs! I think you just upped my chances of getting that kind of lighting. lol

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    They are really cool, I'm telling you...and about $16 cheaper than when I bought mine (from Amazon, you'll want the 36"-48" inch one for a 40B, like I linked)

So many color combinations to choose from...2 different adjustable moonlight settings...all kinds of neat lighting choices, from one fixture

Mine grows my low-to-midrange light needs plants just fine, plenty of light

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    The T5 that I was looking at was around $80 so the price for the LED (with remote!) is comparible. Thank you for the suggestion!