· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cichlid for high tech planted 50G

0 Not allowed!
    I have become very fed up with smaller fish sourced locally which are so sickly they always perish despite rounds of medications and QT. Thus my near fishless SeaClear 50G needs an overhaul. I want it to remain a high tech planted and look as such. However in my current focus I want to go to keeping pretty much only cichlids and bottom dwellers. I am just over small fish at this point and want some sort of bruiser cichlid living in a fu-fu planted tank

Now...I am kind of at a crossroad in terms of which to select as I dont want it to destroy the tank. I have narrowed my list down to an Electric blue Jack...or a Green Terror(SA I know). The remaining fish I honestly dont care if they in time become lunch so that is of no concern. Now the real question which fish would work best with plants. I have no real delicate plants...swords, anubias, crypts, hygro, apons. I also may add a 7-8" Syno for a tank mate later on.

Also open to other cichlid suggestions. I have heard of both of the species mentioned working with plants...however some first hand experience or opinions on the issue would be awesome.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a major overhaul :o)
    I have no experience with green terrors. But I've had my EBJD for close to 2 years now (raised him from a baby). Over the past year I've gradually added more and more plants to my 90. As of yet, I haven't seen him bother any of them.

If you go with an EBJD, you might want to check this guy out.

Name is Rick Coy. He breeds nothing but ebjds. His fish are spectacular. If my baby hadn't made it, I'd have ordered one from him in a heartbeat.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    An idea that may be cool is to add non-herbivorous africans... Like Venustus or Anchor Islands... They go great with synodontis too...

Electric blue jack would be super cool too. Ive never had an issue with them tearing up plants. Then again, my geos didnt tear up stuff either but i have a feeling its cuase i capped the sand with gravel just around the stems so the geos rather sift the sand...
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Oh do bolivian rams and upside down catfish

0 Not allowed!
    Not really interested in africans...just never really cared for them. I have tried to keep them over the years for "something different" just never could get into them.

Yeah Ive just had growing dissatisfaction with my current tanks and the fact my ankle injury has kept me from pursuing completing my fish room in a timely fashion has not helped. I have always wanted an EBJD but their death rate has always just made me not want to bother with them. However their slightly smaller size and calm demeanor make them a good choice for a solo tenant in a 3ft planted. Now GTs are something else I have always wanted to keep and have seen a few on youtube living in planted tanks.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I love my EBJD. He is nearly 8" and prolly full grown after 13 months. He does uproot some plastic plants if I put them where he does not like. I've tied several java ferns to my DW and sometimes some of them come unlodged due to his finnage and thrusts, but I have not seen him deliberately pulling on them.
    The issues with their fragility are in the past IMO. They are definitely calmer than reg JDs which I kept in the past. I want more EBJDs.
    Otherwise, Keyhole Ciclids would do great in a planted tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    I have always wanted an EBJD but their death rate has always just made me not want to bother with them. However their slightly smaller size and calm demeanor make them a good choice for a solo tenant in a 3ft planted.
    Sorry your ankle is still giving you trouble.
    I did not know about the EBJD death rate until after I had mine. I will say, that when I first got him he was so small he couldn't or wouldn't compete with the other cichlids in my community tank. I removed him from that tank within a month and put him in a smaller one with some tetras and he really came into his own then. I left him there for about 6 months or until he was around 3 inches - which I had been told was the magic size, as in, if you got them to that size, they most likely would get past their intestinal issues that often killed them.
    He's healthy as can be now.
    The guy with the EBJDs in the video says he has eliminated that problem within his select breeding line.
    If you go that route, I really think he'd be worth checking out.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Salvinis do well in a planted tank as well as most geos.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Australoheros sp red ceibal or any other Australoheros (no heater required), gymnogeophagus balzanii or other gymnogephagus (no heater required), Crenicichla regani, Crenicichla missionera/C. minuano (no heater required)

0 Not allowed!
    I had actually considered Salvini...however I am kind of planning them for an up and coming overhaul of my 56G column as the smaller Sals would be a better fit

Do you know how to source a EB from Rick Coy? I have done a search on google and cannot find any information. I have however considered ordering one from Imperial Tropicals...can get a 1.5" EB shipped for $30.

I am leaning more toward the EB as I have found many more success stories of them being housed with plants successfully...my tank is also fairly open due to half of the front being a rock garden of anubias...only the back is/will be full of plant growth.

4x75Gs coming soon