· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Loaches in General Question

0 Not allowed!
    I've been keeping loaches since I started my aquarium hobby about a year ago and have learned so much. If there is anything I am proud of at this moment, I would have to say that I am doing a good job in keeping up with the daily water changes, feeding a variety of healthy and quality foods to my fish, and doing my best to make sure they have plenty of hiding spaces.

I have 6 yo yo loaches and 4 clown loaches. I have never had a problem with ich or serious diseases with any of them, the only time I ever see them turn "gray" is when I do my water changes, but other than that they are happy for the most part. I remember when I first got 5 of the loaches, they all had this really odd seizure like movement that lasted a few months, but I haven't seen any of them do that anymore. I also had to take one that looked like it had the "skinny" loach disease, quarantined her, medicated, and she is all better now and back in the regular tank. Thriving and fattened up.

My only possible concern is that since it's been about 7-8 months keeping them, I would expect them to not be scared or run away as soon as we walk by the tank. However, they still do this. The tank is in a position where it's almost in the middle of the living room, so we walk by it to get to our TV or to the kitchen, or even when we need to go to the bedroom. Even if I am in front of them and it's feeding time, they will all get out and go up the water to eat, but as soon as I do any sudden movements or even stand up, they will run like no tomorrow. Are these just normal survival instincts? I always thought they would be like this when first introduced to the aquarium and then get used to their owners.

Also, yes, I am still searching for a good home for my clown loaches, since all I have is a 55g at the moment.
    Last edited by phyl0x; 06-25-2014 at 05:40 AM.
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

0 Not allowed!
    I have 8 Yoyos and 8 Angelicus. They are swarming all over the tank right now as I type, but if I got up and walked past they'd vanish. Guess they aren't the friendliest fish. I've had mine for a year.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Are there any other fish besides the loaches in the tank? Dither fish of some sort might help. A good sized school of tetra or rasbora swimming around may help to calm the loaches down and give them a bit more courage.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Are there any other fish besides the loaches in the tank? Dither fish of some sort might help. A good sized school of tetra or rasbora swimming around may help to calm the loaches down and give them a bit more courage.
    Plenty other odd variety of fishes, mainly from my old beginner tank. Two baby guppies (few months old), 1 baby molly (3 months old), 1 platy, two adult guppies, 3 cherry barbs, 3 otincopolus, 1 rubberlip.
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I have 8 Yoyos and 8 Angelicus. They are swarming all over the tank right now as I type, but if I got up and walked past they'd vanish. Guess they aren't the friendliest fish. I've had mine for a year.
    +1
    With our clowns and my kuhlis, you can sit on the other side of the room and they'll all be out and about, but come near the tank and nyoom everyone is gone! The most I've been able to do is to give them lots and lots of hiding places and sand for the kuhlis (pref sand for most loaches) and found that when you try to recreate their natural habitat they tend to be a bit more friendly. Since putting my kuhlis on sand I see them out a lot more digging and displaying more natural behaviours
    120L Planted community, 220L Planted community, 55L Killifish & hara cat, 31L Dwarf puffer tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have 20 harlequin rasbora with mine and they are pretty good dithers. I plan on getting 10 dwarf chain loaches. I've had these in the past and they are far less shy than other loaches.