· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Help! Fish Flashing...no spots

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 15g tank with 4 guppies (2M 2F), a rainbow shark, angelfish, and dwarf gourami.
    Lately my Rainbow Shark has been flashing quite often and I have seen the small female guppy do it once or twice. Her fins are also shut. Neither have white spots. One if the male guppies, who seems to run the tank, has a yellowish color around his head with a couple pink lines, like scratches on his scales. His swimming seems fine.
    The tank has been set up for a month and I believe it is still cycling. I tested last night. 0 Nitrate&Nitrite, 1 Ammonia
    Our tap water here is always hard, alkalinity is good (80), pH is btwn 7.2&7.8.
    I haven't done a water change in a week because it WAS cloudy and my local pet store said leave it alone for a month to clear up and finish cycling. They also said not to add anything to lower the ammonia since less chemicals u add the better.
    If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe it will pass?
    Using Tapatalk

Awards Showcase

Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook 
    Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 

4 Not allowed!
    The ammonia is killing your fish. Do a water change now! Never trust an LFS to know what they are talking about. It is up to the fishkeeper to do the research on this stuff. Plus that rainbow shark and that angelfish will get way too big for that tank and are both known to be aggressive fish that will start killing your other inhabitants. They need to be rehomed or taken back to the LFS.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VG401 View Post
    I have a 15g tank with 4 guppies (2M 2F), a rainbow shark, angelfish, and dwarf gourami.
    Lately my Rainbow Shark has been flashing quite often and I have seen the small female guppy do it once or twice. Her fins are also shut. Neither have white spots. One if the male guppies, who seems to run the tank, has a yellowish color around his head with a couple pink lines, like scratches on his scales. His swimming seems fine.
    The tank has been set up for a month and I believe it is still cycling. I tested last night. 0 Nitrate&Nitrite, 1 Ammonia
    Our tap water here is always hard, alkalinity is good (80), pH is btwn 7.2&7.8.
    I haven't done a water change in a week because it WAS cloudy and my local pet store said leave it alone for a month to clear up and finish cycling. They also said not to add anything to lower the ammonia since less chemicals u add the better.
    If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe it will pass?
    Do a large water change right now...ammonia is too high...most pet store people are clueless when it comes to proper fish care

You should be monitoring for ammonia every day while cycling...how do you test your water?...what water conditioner do you use?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I have API ammonia test strips and Tetra 6in1 easy strips. When I do water changes I use AquaSafeplus but on my last change (30%) a week ago I used API stress coat in hopes to calm a fish that ended up dying. I usually have to put more then the reccomended amount since our tap water is very hard. And I also used TOPFIN ammonia remover. Maybe I should add that to today's water change so my ammonia doesn't get any higher?

Also, the shark and angelfish are maybe 2in right now and do not bother each other. You think I could keep them in this tank until they get bigger then get a bigger one to transfer them into?
    Using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed!
    Check out the fish in cycling instructions in the beginner's section.
    Your fish are likely irritated by the high ammonia levels in water.
    Additionally, try returning the angelfish and rainbow shark or find another home for them. Both are territorial and require much larger tanks than 15 gallons.

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    The test strips are not accurate, you need to get the API liquid test kit...the stresscoat does nothing to help with aqmmonia during a water change...I know nothing about the Top Fin, but you need to use SOMETHING

Lots of us here use Seachem Prime, it will help bind the ammonia and chlorine in your tap water, and at least give your fish a chance

return the angel and the shark sooner, rather than later

You need to read and fully understand the cycling with fish sticky in the beginner's section

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no! All they said was that I needed to introduce the Angelfish last 😧
    I will do a water change with AquaSafeplus and some ammonia remover since it's on hand. You think more than 25%?

I have read about cycling but it's a lot to take in. Will definitely go back to that.
    Using Tapatalk

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You have been given great advice. The ammonia is way too high and is killing your fish.
    Keep your ammonia and nitrites no higher than .25ppm while the tank is cycling. (see cycling with fish link in my signature line) Your goal, after several weeks of water changes is to have 0 ammonia and nitrItes and 20ppm or less NitrAtes.

I'm sure you want to keep the angel and the shark as they are beautiful fish, however, you have to think about what's best for all of your fish and those two simply will not work in that tank. They will grow fast and become more and more aggressive and you'll wake up one morning to dead or injured fish. so sorry.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    I would do at least a 50% change, 75% won't hurt

Cycling with fish is no picnic, but it's not rocket science, either...you can do it...read and re-read the sticky as much as it takes for you to understand, it's located here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VG401 View Post
    Oh no! All they said was that I needed to introduce the Angelfish last 😧
    I will do a water change with AquaSafeplus and some ammonia remover since it's on hand. You think more than 25%?

I have read about cycling but it's a lot to take in. Will definitely go back to that.
    You should do a 75% water change. Add enough Aquasafe for 15 gallons.
    Check your ammonia level tomorrow and if it's above .25, do another 50% W/C. then check your water daily until your cycle is complete.
    The ONE thing the LFS said correctly is the less chemicals the better. Forget the ammonia remover. Use your Aqua safe and when that's gone, you might consider Seachem's Prime as suggested by Slap. It's more concentrated and in the long run much cheaper.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 06-24-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492