· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default nano shrimp tank?

0 Not allowed!
    hi guys
    I have a 3 gallon long nano tank.measurements are
    18 inches long,6 inch high,6 inch wide.

Is this possible? if so what kind of filter,stocking,heater,food,how many shrimp,what kind of shrimp should i buy?

and is lighting needed?

0 Not allowed!
    Um I don't know about the equipment but red cherry shrimp would be cool and lighting is needed because you need some plant like java moss and a anubias or something and you could do a flourescent light nothing above if doing java moss it will scorched and die in high light.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So i dont need a light if there is java moss right?

0 Not allowed!
    No you need incadescent or flourescent nothing above or below those but if you have the lighting wright its easy unless you get a big dried dead piece when you order it.

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You can look for filters and heaters designed specifically for nano tanks of this size. You will need both for shrimp. Most nano filters are shrimp safe. Like AL10 said you will want a good fluorescent light to grow plants and you'll want those plants for your shrimp to cruise around in.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If I were you, I'd go with a sponge filter for shrimp. Don't create much of a water flow and are great for bio load. Plus the shrimp can eat off of it.

0 Not allowed!
    You can use the Azoo Palm Filter like this: http://www.amazon.com/AZOO-AZ13097-M.../dp/B005VEWCMO
    or the sponge filter as suggested above. I have the Azoo on a 2.5 gal and I use a prefilter on the intake.

I have Taiwan moss, subwassertang, and crypt wendtii in my tank. I also had one of the preset heaters in this tank but it was keeping it too warm, so I removed it. Tank stays around 74F and I have central AC that's on most of the time. I also have a Spec V tank and I do use a heater in that one.

You could easily add a dozen RCS.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    You could easily add a dozen RCS.

So what is the rule with number of shrimp per gallon? Is there one? How many shrimp would you say could fit in a 5.5 gallon?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For a nano tank I would suggest a LED light vs a fluorescent light. For such a small tank I think the heat of the fluorescent light would mess with the temperature of the tank a little bit. You can still grow low light plants with an LED.
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.
    Myself, the fish, and the dogs all agree.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah but the led could still kill the java moss