· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing my betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

Default Losing my betta

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had a betta for almost two years in a 5.5 gallon fish tank. I got this fish for my wife and I'm going to be honest here even if it hurts my reputation. I cared very little about this fish. Don't get me wrong I did his water changes, I fed him every day, I just didn't have any emotional connection to him. The best way I can describe it is, having a dog chained up in the back yard. Sure you feed it but you never go play with it and it just sits there. The tank was rather bare after a cyanobacteria outbreak. Just two store bought aquarium decorations and a crypt that was struggling to grow. He started losing fins and I thought it was an infection so I treated for a good while and upped my water changes and it didn't seem to help. Now I'm certain it was because he was bored. I'll admit it, that tank.... boring. Well I did one thing right, if not too little too late. I started up a 10 gallon that was going to be heavily planted and I was going to add some bottom dwellers to keep him company. I got it set up last night and brought it up to my bedroom to switch out the 5.5. Well, there he was, laying on the substrate like he was dead. I immediately did a large water change, not hard with a tank like that. I really started watching him. He just lays there listlessly, his color has faded immensely, his eyes are bugged out a little, he looks very thin. I'm sitting there appalled cause I never caught it before now. I would just feed him and go on about my life, didn't really take the time to look at him. I probably sat there a good 20 minutes. I feel terrible. He flutters about a little but tires easy and lays back on the substrate. At this point I don't know what I can do. I dosed with some mela-fix. Only stuff I've got at the moment. I'm more inclined to think I need to put him down. He looks miserable and I feel he hasn't long for this world.

Sorry for this super long post, just needed to get that off my chest.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I've been stuck with fish I don't really like too. I understand.
    At this point unless he starts to show improvement today, it would probably be best to just euth him.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    Try feeding him peas it may be related to swim bladder of he cant get to surface, bettafix will help if there is something wrong with fins or a bacterial infection, the only ingredient I know of in betta fix is tea tree oil.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    I've been stuck with fish I don't really like too. I understand.
    At this point unless he starts to show improvement today, it would probably be best to just euth him.
    Yeah, I dosed with melafix, not sure if it'll do anything but it seems a rather less invasive med and all I have at the moment. If I don't see improvement I'll put him down today. =/

Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    Try feeding him peas it may be related to swim bladder of he cant get to surface, bettafix will help if there is something wrong with fins or a bacterial infection, the only ingredient I know of in betta fix is tea tree oil.
    Thanks AL10, your suggestions would probably have worked if I had done so a while ago. Now I think he is too far gone. Though I am using the tea tree oil.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, my betya died recently too I had him for about 2.5 years and he was about a year old when I got him so he was 3.5 years old.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah mine was younger than that. It isn't old age getting him. It was me =(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Way to go on starting the cycle! - Compass   Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle and new fish! - Compass   Here is one you can see. - mommy1   You need another fish! - Compass   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your Betta. Like moms said, some you do just tend to take care of more than others and its by no way any indication that you don't care for the fish. So don't beat yourself up.

My Betta tank...I mean my daughter's Betta tank is in her room. It is out-of-site, out-of-mind and I have to make it point to go in check on him. I can tell when he is listless as well. He always seems to like it when I come into the room..almost like a dog greeting me at the door when I come home from work.

If its not too late for him and you do try to save him, if someone is there during the day, just have them walk into the room and interactive with him at the glass..sometimes that's all the stimulation they need to keep them from being bored.
    55 Gallon: Bluegill
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Betta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    The best way I can describe it is, having a dog chained up in the back yard. Sure you feed it but you never go play with it and it just sits there.
    Stuff like that makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorry about the betta Rob, but that's what happens when pets are neglected, regardless of what they are.

You've been keeping fish long enough to know what to do.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Fishhook   A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228   Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Do keep in mind that the average lifespan of a betta is 2-4 years. I have read that the pet store bettas are usually in the 7-12 month range.

So a significant part of the issue here is also the age of the fish. Creatures at the far end of their lifespans tend to have a much harder time recovering from smaller issues.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Stuff like that makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorry about the betta Rob, but that's what happens when pets are neglected, regardless of what they are.

You've been keeping fish long enough to know what to do.
    Yeah, really made me evaluate how I care for the little guys. I'll never get another fish if I don't think I'm going to treat it like a prize discus.