· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else have Windows 8.1?

0 Not allowed!
    I finally had to get a new computer. This is an ACER with Windows 8.1. Boy, is it ever different! My tech and I have been trying to figure it out for the last week. Who else has this operating system? How do you like it? Quite a leap for me from Windows XP to this! Sure is a lot of useless junk (for me) on that start page.

Hopefully, posting pictures and other functions will be easier with fewer glitches, once I can navigate it better. This forum sure looks better. I can actually type in the posting box without that annoying lag-behind I used to experience.

Any helpful tips would be welcome ...

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Google is your friend.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

1 Not allowed!
    I've helped friends upgrade and try to figure out win8/8.1 over the past year or so. There is a learning curve for sure, but it's not that hard. In win 8.1, there is an option to bypass the metro screen and go straight to the desktop. There is a good free program called Classic shell, which will return the start menu to windows, makes it a lot easier to navigate and find programs. http://www.classicshell.net is where you can grab it.

Another useful program http://pcdecrapifier.com/ , it will find all the useless junk/spam/trial programs and ads that new computers seem to be always come with, and will give you option to remove them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had windows 8 for about a year and just upgraded to 8.1. There is definitely a big learning curve, but once I got the hang of it, I like it much, much better then any other program. My mom recently upgraded and I'm having to help her out. Youtube tutorials have been a big help! Once you figure it out, you'll find it's very customizable. So all that crap on the start screen you don't need, you can delete it from that screen, delete it altogether, make important tiles larger and not so important tiles smaller. And yes, google is a very good friend!
    Pleco is probably my favorite color.

1 Not allowed!
    Windows 8 and the 8.1 update are the worst operating systems I have used thus far.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    Windows 8 and the 8.1 update are the worst operating systems I have used thus far.
    Hmm.. yes and no. No as in the stability of 8 isn't any worse than that of 7. Windows 2012 server, which uses the same interface, may well be their best server so far.

Yes as in the person who came up with that metro interface needs to think about his/her mistakes while completely covered in something sweet and tied down close to an ant colony

I've been using windows since 3.0 was brand new and shiny and in all those years the worst version is still Windows ME. I dearly love windows 7, my favorite version so far. there is one Windows 8 laptop in the house now. I provide wireless network to it but refuse to touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Yes as in the person who came up with that metro interface needs to think about his/her mistakes while completely covered in something sweet and tied down close to an ant colony

I've been using windows since 3.0 was brand new and shiny and in all those years the worst version is still Windows ME. I dearly love windows 7, my favorite version so far. there is one Windows 8 laptop in the house now. I provide wireless network to it but refuse to touch it with the proverbial barge pole.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

1 Not allowed!
    Yes it is stable, but the interface is utterly inefficient for desktop machines. I've been using windows since 3.1. I even tolerated ME. I could even get past the mess that was vista... but not this.

Some concepts are just good ideas. They do not need re-inventing.
    Take the wheel for example; it just works. Hell, some even say it got things rolling (cue rimshot) Of course there are many variations and designs, but they are all wheels. There is no need to replace the wheel.

This brings us to the Windows Desktop. It works, and works well. Its familiar, friendly, and strikes some curious chord in us that just resonates well with the user experience. We do not want the desktop to be replaced. This means you, Microsoft. Take a lesson from the negative public reaction to windows 8, and leave the desktop alone... though it is far from the only thing wrong with that steaming dogpile you call an operating system.

I trust that this has been an enlightening experience for your company. By all means innovate, but pay attention to the user reaction before releasing your product.

And please understand. The wheel just works.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 06-22-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    And yes, I know the desktop still exists in win 8, but having it as a separate application is about as useful as omitting it altogether. This does not even begin to cover all the things wrong with that stupid interface. What were they thinking?
    <-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    I use 8.1 and only use the desktop, all the time. The tiles just drive me crazy.