· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cleaning gravel (JBL Manado) before putting into tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have an established tank with sand substrate, however im changing it over to JBL Manado with JBL Aquabasis Plus as the base layer. I was wondering if I needed to use de-chlorinated water to clean the gravel, or can I just put the gravel in a bucket and rinse it with my shower til it runs clear?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, shower and then couple buckets of de-chlorinated water.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijankrom View Post
    In my opinion, shower and then couple buckets of de-chlorinated water.
    OK great, thanks.

By the way, how clean does the water need to be? I spent about 2 hours filling the bucket with water, swirling it around, then tipping it away and it STILL does produce a bit of dirt. Its clay based so will it ever run totally clear?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you need to wash a substrate as much as people think you do. Especially one that is nutrient rich. You're washing away nutrients! D:

Rinse it a little bit but you are never going to get it all out, but then all it'll do is cloudy up the water for a bit. That's what filters are for. ;) I think you are good to put that stuff in your tanks.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not familiar with clay based materials for the aquarium so I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone else here can chime in. This is store bought, not yet used gravel yes? It's not like you dug it out of the river. IMO a little leftover isn't so bad.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

2 Not allowed!
    JBL's manado can be a bit dusty but I wouldn't do more than 1 or two rinses of it. Unless you got a serious amount of chlorine in the tap water I don't think I'd bother with conditioned water either.

When you put it in the tank will look like a disaster but 2-3 days with extra floss in the filter should soon clear that up. In the mean time you can plant straight away.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure how fine this new substrate is, but if it's a medium-to-large gravel, it might be easier to put it into a colander with small holes and rinse it that way. You won't need to tip so much because the water will run right out through the holes. Definitely use a dechlorinator before putting it into your tank. Just my opinion. I've always understood that even a small amount of chlorine can be harmful to fish. Chloramines, too. Conditioning with Prime should take care of both.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I figured I had cleaned it pretty well so decided to put it in and hope for the best.

I did the change on Monday, transferred fish into polystyrene container with tank water + some plants, and emptied tank. It took ages to scoop all the sand out (it stunk horrible) but im glad its finally out. I put in a thin layer of JBL Aquabasis Plus which is a nutrient rich soil, then put Manado on top, with a bit of fine gravel in the middle for character.

It was SUPER cloudy when I put water back into the tank, but it was pretty much totally clear by Tuesday morning.

It is a little scarce on plants at the moment and the layout will definitely change but for now im liking the new look: