· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Upside down Harlequin rasbora!

0 Not allowed!
    I have 9 harlequin rasboras with 2 honey gouramis and a nerite snail in a 12 gallon tank. One harlequin swims around ever so slightly slower than the others and occasionally flips belly up! I keep thinking "this is it. He died this time". But he keeps on swimming in a couple seconds. What's wrong with him and what should I do?

Other than going upside down, he also seems to sink down quickly before flipping. He is also the only rasbora with little white lines going across his tail that might be slightly raised. Hard to tell; not sure if its relevant haha. He eats normal and can get to the surface fine! (I gave him Tetra color flakes) None of the other fish are bothering him at all. I got the rasboras yesterday...(but the tank has been cycled for 7 months) please help!

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: <10
    Temperature: 25.1C / 77.2F

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually the strongest rasbora (the male who seems to be winning all the dominance dances) also has those white lines so they are probably nothing?)

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry I think I figured it out! Swim bladder?

I'll stop feeding for a couple days, then feed peas. And I'll raise the water temperature a little. (I found this online). I guess I was trying to make sure the gouramis had enough food and I overfed the poor little guy :(

Sorry for the post. I kept searching "rasbora flipping over" and I only got stuff about them mating. I eventually just searched "fish flipping over" and I got my answer :) he literally has all the symptoms so I feel a little silly for asking ;)

Hopefully he gets better!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Swim bladder was going to be my guess as well. Just a friendly reminder, you also need to keep an eye on the ammonia now that you have new fish in the tank. After 7 months the bio-filter will have adjusted to the bio-load of the fish and adding 9 more may overload it for a few days. Just watch it for a week or so until it balances back out and be prepared to do some water changes.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks for the tip :) the first thing that I did when I saw that was do a water change and test the water. Everything is good still! My fish already looks better (no more belly up, just slow swimming) unfortunately 2 others are starting to act iffy. Hopefully it passes quickly for all of them!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Keep lights out to keep things calm for a while. They will settle down. If you explain "iffy" maybe we can help decide whats going on.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    Swim bladder was going to be my guess, too, but those white lines in the tail could be something else. Can you take a picture of the fish for us?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The swim bladder thing is all gone. My fish are swimming happily again. I still won't feed them though just in case.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be home until Sunday so I can't take a picture.

The fish with the white lines lost the tips of his tail where the white lines were!! :( He looks fine other than his tail is a little shorter now. It kind of looks like the end of his tail got folded/broken ad then fell off. I'll watch him closely when I get home and try to take a picture.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and "iffy" meant that they were flipping upside down a little. That has stopped, thankfully.

1 Not allowed!
    The tips of the tail falling off sounds like fin rot. Might need to treat that next. Take a pic when you can. You want to treat that as soon as you can, otherwise it can lead to more serious damage and can kill your fish.

Glad you have the swim bladder disease taken care of. To avoid that issue, you might try a couple of different things. First, tell us what kind of food you're feeding the fish. It's possible they might require a more fibrous diet, enriched with vegetables/algae, like spirulina flakes or a good pellet. Otherwise, it might have to do with how you feed the fish. If you just drop the flakes at the top of the water, they'll need to swim to the surface and gulp what they can, down. This can lead to their gulping of air, which can then lead to swim bladder disease. What many of us like to do, is take whatever food you're feeding (I assume flakes), dip it under the water, and then rub your fingers together to chop the flakes up a bit more. It makes it easier for them to eat and it prevents them from gulping air at the surface.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 06-21-2014 at 01:52 AM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.