· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Suggestions for my new 75Gal

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I just bought a new 75 Gal Aquarium and I want to put some South american chiclids in it, I've Only ever Have had Angelfish, convicts, and Bolivian Rams before as far as chiclids go.

I am really looking for fish that get anywhere from 4-8 inches, I was thinking of adding 2 Angels, 1 geophagus redhead tapajos, 1 Electric blue Acara and I have a Keyhole that I just bought yesterday in a 29 gal that I was thinking of moving over eventually.

I am not sure what to add for dithers, and I have always wanted a Severum or a firemouth, do you think they would be a bad idea for a 75 Gal ? I'm really looking to get something I've never had before and I love the looks of South/central american Chiclids they are so cool!

are there any other Chiclids someone could recommend to me ?

Thank you kindly for any help you can give me, I really appreciate it, I absolutely love this hobby, its just amazing and i'm so addicted!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    mommy1 and Sandz are the ones to talk to on this one. Hopefully they'll chime in here in a minute. :)
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. They do not get as big as regular Jack and they are way less aggressive.
    I use Giant Danios as dithers, but I wish I had gone with Congo Tetras. The EBJD grows to 8" or so.

JACKE4:2014.jpg
    Last edited by pRED; 06-19-2014 at 06:02 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow!!! what a stunning fish! is that a picture of yours ? if so that's just beautiful! I'm so jealous!

I've always wanted a Jack Dempsey, Would one of them be fine in a 75 Gal ? I'd only be worried about it being a meaner fish, would one be ok with angels,a keyhole and maybe a geo like the red head ?

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    That is my EBJD, thanks. They are not that aggressive and I have mine in a 55gal w/5 GDanios, 1 BN pleco and Redtail Shark.
    I think one would safe with the fish you mentioned. I have doubts on the Keyhole being small and needing mate tho.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Pred

I'm still going to keep looking at other fish, The Jack Dempsy is cool but I think I want to do some corrycats and I was reading they might try to eat corys and get them stuck in their mouth. I think I'd probably go for a Severum but I really don't know, they get big.

Sofar this is what i'm thinking:

2 Angelfish
    1 geo redhead tapajos
    1 Electric blue acara
    6 sterbia corys

How are SwordTails(thinking 2 males 3 females) as dithers ? and i'm not sure if I will leave the keyhole in the 29 and get him a buddy or move him to the 75 gal on his own, so I am still open for more suggestions, Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Also I plan for this to been a heavily planted tank with rocks and drift wood, so hopefully I can get some fish that won't terrorize the plants as much, I don't mind if they nibble it, Its for them to enjoy after all :)

Keep the suggestions coming, I won't be putting this together for a while anyway, I still need to cycle and buy plants :P

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Severums do get big, but they grow very slowly. If you plan on keeping 2 angels better get 6 young ones to grow out and move along the extras after you have an established pair. The Geo will uproot plants, severums will eat them. Cichlids in general are best kept with plastic or silk plants IME. Sailfin mollies would be better than swordtails, less prone to jump out of the tank. Synodontis catfish or any of a number of species of botia would also work in place of the Cory cats.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.