· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Possible Substrate Trouble / Problem ...

0 Not allowed!
    okay gang - in need of some advice, yet again ...
    as of about 2 months ago or so - i migrated my fish into a new tank. all is okay there, so far so good.

before making the investment in the substrate that i chose to go with (which i think looks beautiful) i searched around for comments / confirmation that it would be okay to go with if i were using live plants. the product is CaribSea Black Tahitian Moon Sand. ive upgraded the light in the tank, until i can invest in a T5 set-up (soon i hope), to T8. Forgot how many KV, but the person said it was definitely adequate for live plants.

My intuition is telling me two things though ...
    1. that the lighting is still a factor to be dealt with - so im WILL be upgrading to T5 as soon as i can and ...

2. My intuition is telling me that i could have decided on a more suitable substrate if i had dug a little deeper at the beginning. I love the look and the fishys seem to like it too BUT i was thinking if i should somehow start to introduce some Caribsea Eco-Complete somehow underneath it OR mixed up into it.
    i would like your thoughts on this AND how on earth would i go about it? (if its even at all advisable)
    Thank you all!

1 Not allowed!
    I think you are fine, plenty of people here just have sand and very nice plant growth. The Eco-complete will make things grow faster for sure but it isn't necessary. At this point in the game I wouldn't fool with it.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [sigh of relief]
    thats good to hear!!
    thank you Compass for chiming in!!!
    (as well as for all that you contribute here)

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe 
    Happy Holidays. - gadget228 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    If your plants need nutrients you can use root tabs.
    People say if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all... Then they wonder why am I so quiet.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hi mommy1 !!
    didnt see u posted! i stumbled across mention of those somewhere during my reading around. i'd like to try and see if i can find some! do you have any in particular that you have tried? brand? a link maybe?
    thanks!!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe 
    Happy Holidays. - gadget228 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I use the trace and total found at the bottom of this page http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquaFe...TEM_p/fert.htm

They are cheaper than what you will find at the LFS and just as good for general ferts.
    People say if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all... Then they wonder why am I so quiet.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    If your plants need nutrients you can use root tabs.
    Yup! works for me and I do have a rather lush looking tank. Only thing with T8 is that you probably should stick with low to medium light plants

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that link mommy1. Helped me find better prices by a mile.

2 Not allowed!
    KevinVA gave me a couple dozen root tabs for free, which happens to be my favorite price
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    gonna be home in a little while - cant wait to have a look. ...

@ talldutchie...
    im not having much luck finding a list of plants with pictures, care instructions / lighting requirements if you have anything like that bookmarked or have any better luck than me please post.
    thanks all for the feedback!