· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Cleaning the glass on old tanks

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a 20g high, two 20g long, stands, lights, HOB, air pump, 6-7 plecos, and 50 or so cherry shrimp for $100!! Feeling pretty good about myself until I tried to clean the glass. It is somewhat milky looking. I am in AZ where it truly isn't a feat to walk on water; our water here is around 8.2-8.5 out of the tap. So lots of calcium build up.

So for those of you buy used stuff, how do you get your glass clean? Please don't say vinegar; it ain't touching this stuff.
    "The manner with which we walk through life is each man's most important responsibility, and we should remember this with every new sunrise."
    --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW

3 Not allowed!
    I used vinegar (sorry)
    To get some of the tougher build up off, I used a razor blade and I also let the vinegar soak a bit on some spots.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Out of curiosity why not vinegar? I do a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Works rather well.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    I'm curious to know why not vinegar as well. I've heard of people using CLR to clean the water deposits off the glass but have never needed to go that drastic myself, http://www.myaquariumclub.com/cleani...-pro-2754.html I would use it if I had to to get the glass clean.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    I'm curious to know why not vinegar as well. I've heard of people using CLR to clean the water deposits off the glass but have never needed to go that drastic myself, http://www.myaquariumclub.com/cleani...-pro-2754.html I would use it if I had to to get the glass clean.
    The vinegar wasn't cutting it at all. I did use the CLR and it did the trick on the calcium build up, but took some elbow grease. The glass is cloudy; you can still see through it, but want it to be crystal clear. Used different cleaners on it; Windex seems to be the best so far, but had to apply it several times and really scrub. We are getting there, but didn't think it would be this much work.
    "The manner with which we walk through life is each man's most important responsibility, and we should remember this with every new sunrise."
    --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ok, didn't realize you had already tried vinegar. Rereading your original post it makes more sense now. hahaha Have you tried soaking the tank? Spray on whatever cleaner you are using and just leaving it there for a bit and then go back with more cleaning and scrub it?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Lay the tank so the pain of glass you want to clean is flat, apply a large amount of what you want to use to clean on the glass, then cover it with paper towel and apply some more. This will allow the calcium built to soak in the cleaner and become easily removed with the right cleaner

I have done this before removing calcium build on a glass aquarium that was set up for many years as a reef tank. The calcium build up was the worst that I have ever seen (which was why I got such a great deal on the tank). After a overnight soak using the above method, the calcium almost wiped off with the paper towel. Butt I did use vinegar for this. It should also work well for the CLR if that is what you would choose to use.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]