· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default My First Aquarium! (10 gallon)

1 Not allowed!
    Hi!
    I wanted to start a journal here to document setting up my first aquarium and hopefully get some feedback to make sure I'm doing everything right.
    I had a disastrous last week, I got a 10 gallon aquarium from a friend and put 4 platies in it that day, not knowing what cycling was... lost 3 then got 2 mollies, tried to cycle with the two mollies and a platy and they were all dead as of Monday. So I'm cycling without fish now!
    I got a new filter refill and cleaned the tank, rocks and decorations. I managed to find an API master test kit after looking at 4 pet stores and 2 walmarts.
    I set it up today and I'm using Old Country Ammonia (it is safe and pure ammonia!) to cycle.

So far my test results are:
    Ammonia: 2ppm
    Nitrite- Didn't test
    Nitrate- Didn't test
    PH- 7.6
    Temperature: 20C/84F

It looks like there is no point testing the nitrite/nitrate until the ammonia drops to zero. I'm following the directions in the beginners cycling part of this page.

My plan is to get either:
    3 male mollies (either dalmatian, golddust, or marbled) OR
    3 male Mickey platies OR
    2 male Mickey platies and 2 male mollies (same colors as above)
    If any one sees something wrong with this please tell me! The reason for no females is I don't trust that they won't be pregnant when they come from the pet store and I don't think I can afford babies!

1 Not allowed!
    You are on the right track. The only comment I have is that mollies overall get quite big. the females might reach 3-4 inches and the males, while smaller, aren't tiny either.
    For a 10 gallon I would recommend sticking to the smaller livebearers (platies, guppies, endlers)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you! I really like the idea of schooling fish.. how many platies OR endlers could I fit in a 10 gallon? The recommended numbers on different websites varies a lot!

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Someone will correct me if i am wrong. On endlers 15 or so. Platies 7 or 8 but not 15 and 8. Only one or the other i belive.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

2 Not allowed!
    Platies like 6... Endlers I'd start with max 10 and make sure you have a home for babies

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Thankss triton, i like the back up of a seasoned pro.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Guppies (male) are easy to come by too, and they would be ok with about 8 or so. Keep an eye on your parameters to make sure your filter can keep up. Try a 20g filter or higher. You can transfer your current media over to it with no problems, and your cycle will still be on its way.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Since this is in the journal section.... Pictures??

9. Default

3 Not allowed!
    IMG_1478.jpg
    There's a picture, hope it works! that's from the first day I set it up after washing it all.

I'm thinking I'll get a group of 5-6 platies or I really like those endlers! I didn't see any at my pet store last time I was in but I wasn't really looking so they might have them :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second Triton, I'd start with 10 at max for Endlers and see how they do. If they do well, you can look it to adding a few more. That would overstock your aquarium by a bit but thats okay to do sometimes, IMO. If you like to overstock an aquarium like I do, just make sure you over filter like Azurescriber suggested. Over filter by at least double. Sorry about your bad start with your first aquarium! Happens way to often unfortunately.
    Pleco is probably my favorite color.