· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is it OK to add more driftwood or rock to aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a pretty long driftwood in my tank and need to add another one for more hiding spots for my loaches. I have a variety of yo yo and clown loaches.

Does anyone know if adding more driftwood or rocks will hurt my loaches? What do loaches prefer for PH levels? I also have variety of guppies and platys.

I did a water test 2 days ago and my levels are as listed below:
    PH: 8.0 - 8.2 ppm
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 5 ppm

I attached the tests in case anyone interprets it differently.

20140615_200702.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

Awards Showcase

Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook 
    Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    No, more rocks and driftwood will not hurt your loaches. You're good to go.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with the above...also, you have your nitrAte and nitrIte levels mixed up, you have 0 nitrItes and around 5 nitrAtes

With 5 nitrItes, your fish would be deceased.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Guppies, platys, will tolerate the low pH the loaches prefer. Your pH is much to high for the loaches. Clown loaches will also grow out of a 55 gallon, they need a much bigger tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With your PH, I would assume the KH is pretty high as well, above 6 degrees. A single piece of driftwood is not going to produce enough tannins to lower the ph or KH of your 55 gallon tank., especially if you change a portion of the aquarium water weekly.

From tests that I have run, I used peat moss from Lowes, and found that it took about 1 cup of peat moss to 24 cups of water, to lower my KH from 8 to 4 and my PH from 7.8 to 6.8. That 24 cups of peat water (1.5 gallons) was not enough to lower the ph in a 55g tank full of tap water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Appreciate the responses from everyone. I'm growing java moss and anubias nanas in my 20 gallon tank, and took very small portions of it to see how well they do in the 55 gallon .
    As far as water changes, I do at least 50% every 1 and half weeks to 2 weeks. I will check how much changes when I add this second driftwood.

I have been looking for a good home for my clown loaches. They are doing amazing, it's just ever since I started using my LED lights, they have been hiding more. I understand they are nocturnal creatures.
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We found adding more driftwood made out clowns more comfortable, so they came out more! But yeah, glad you're finding a new home (although every fishkeeper's preference is getting a bigger tank ;) )

Adding driftwood is no issue & will help lower your pH for the loaches (the majority of loaches prefer slightly acidic waters).

Guppies and platys prefer slightly more alkaline waters, but are more tolerant than loaches (in the way that loaches are often still wild caught, and both guppies and platys have been bred in varying captive conditions for years).
    120L Planted community, 220L Planted community, 55L Killifish & hara cat, 31L Dwarf puffer tank