· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Changing up tanks

0 Not allowed!
    For those who haven't read my
    Previous posts. I currently have in a 29
    Gallon:
    My betta Jack, 2 platys, 1 glotetra and 5 white skirt tetras, 5 rio flame tetras, 1 green Cory cat, 1 young platinum angel, and lots of ramshorn snails. I'm getting ready to transfer Jack back into a 5
    Gallon by himself as he's been being aggressive with the tetras. I want to do a sand substrate but have no idea what kind to buy. I'm going to be adding Cory's to the 29 but I'm having trouble getting them locally.
    My next question is what fish could I add to the 29? I like the look of the South American cichlids with their bright colors but I know they don't all get along with other fish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sand can be whatever you want but just check the name to make sure it's not one that raises pH - otherwise bettas are pretty unfussy with sand (although I imagine darker sand = better, as I think light sand may be a bit stressful on them).

Your 29 is pretty heavily stocked - the angel will also quickly outgrow it (IME they need 300L/80gal at least and are reasonably social fish).
    Platys also prefer harder and more basic waters, whereas all your other fish come from South America where they'll have things like driftwood, peat, leaf litter and other things that stain the water with tanins and lower the pH and water hardness. SO, if you want SA cichlids (I'd recommend dwarf cichlids), it might be worth removing the platy as these guys really do prefer lower pH and water hardness. And you pretty much have an SA tank!

So maybe a good stock list would be -
    5 glo tetra (schoolers, I'm personally not a fan of glofish but it's up to you whether you get more or not but they definitely prefer a school).
    5 white skirt tetras (will probably nip your betta anyway)
    5 flame tetras
    6-8 green cories (need their own species for a shoal, but do need at least 6 of their own kind)
    Lotsa ramshorns snails (I love my ramshorns!)

Now what I find is tetras really do look best in big schools of their own species - for example, 15-20 flame tetras could look cooler than 5 flames, 5 white skirts and 5 glotetras. This means you have a really safe, happy school and you'll see their behaviours most. How many tetras you can keep in your tank depends on the tetra's temperament, size and your tank's size & filtration.

SA cichlids will be too big and aggressive, but there's the perfect alternative - SA dwarf cichlids! Options are mostly rams, keyhole cichlids and apistos.
    Rams can be -
    Bolivian "butterfly" or Blue - and blue can mean anything! Note that the more fancy the type of ram, the more likely it is to be very sensitive (due to inbreeding, poor breeding etc).
    Blue ram varieties include -
    Gold head
    Gold
    German blue
    Veiltail
    Electric blue
    Your regular blue and more.

Apisto species can be many! See what's available and research it heavily before adding it to your tank.

Dwarf cichlids are sensitive though, so you really need to keep your nitrates under 20 and keep everything consistent.
    120L Planted community, 220L Planted community, 55L Killifish & hara cat, 31L Dwarf puffer tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My ph generally runs 7.4. Not sure on hardness. All my other params are at 0 and have been for awhile now.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and my glotetra now schools with the white skirts.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm unfamiliar with glofish (they're not allowed here) - am I right in thinking modified tetras are typically black skirt/widow tetras? If so, they're the same species so that's OK. If they're not the same species, it's an indicator that it needs a school :)
    120L Planted community, 220L Planted community, 55L Killifish & hara cat, 31L Dwarf puffer tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Same species :)

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you plan on keeping all your stock, I wouldn't add a cichlid...even a dwarf one. If you list fish you are willing to part with, we can go from there. :)

Pool filter sand is super cheap, but make sure you rinse well.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the pool filter sand...I didn't rinse mine, tank cleared up completely in a day or two.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I can probably rehome the platys, Jack is going to his own tank but id like to have something else in with him. I'm open to rehoming the angel.

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Try some snails or shrimp with Jack
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal