Results 1 to 10 of 49
Thread: Really confused, need help.
06-14-2014, 06:00 PM #1Junior Member Guppy
- Join Date
- Jun 2014
Really confused, need help.
I will try to post as much info as I can because I need help!
I got a 10 gallon aquarium with a aquatech filter for 10-20 gallon aquariums from a friend.
I went to the petstore to get a heater and thermometer, because they said at the pet store tropical fish are prettier.
I set up the tank with 4 platy's, within 2 days three of them were dead. So, Monday I set up the tank and got 4 platies, Wednesday two of them died, Thursday the third one died, then I went to the pet store Thursday night and they said 2 sailfin mollies and the one remaining platy would be good in the tank so I got 2 of the mollies. They told me to test the ph and ammonia so I did, the ph was 7.2 and the ammonia .25. on Thursday night. I wasn't told anything at all about "cycling" and I still really don't understand it, I just want to try to save these fish. All 3 of them are doing really good BUT the ammonia was .50 before water change and after water change (25%) this morning at 6am (its 3pm now)
So right now my tank is like this:
10 gallon, this is the 6th day it has had fish in it. I feed them what they can eat in 1 minute.
2 sailfin mollies and a sunset platy.
Water temp: 24°C (75°F)
The fish look to be okay, swimming around a lot and eating normally. But I know ammonia is toxic.
I live really far from the city/any pet stores but I could make it there if it'll save these fish.
Can anyone help me? I don't understand why the pet store people didn't explain this to me, and I really want these fish to make it through cycling if possible!
06-14-2014, 06:07 PM #2
Before you do anything else you need to do a big water change, at least 75% needs to be changed to bring the ammonia down. After the water change, read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 then come back here with any questions.When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me
06-14-2014, 06:14 PM #3
Ok so this is the problem with fish stores... they never interview the customer to see if the fish they are selling are going into a prepared home... No fault of yours so lets get down to how to fix this:
First - it would be good to invest in a test kit. You dont want to rely on the pet store for their cheap strips that are often inacurate.
Second - you are now doing what is called cycling with fish. You have the right fish for it at least because they are a little more hearty than others. What your goal is going to be is keeping ammonia at or below .25ppm (parts per million) until you no longer get any. Once you have none you are cycled and youre good to go...
A little more in depth of what the cycle is: Its an establishment of a colony of bacteria that "eat" ammonia in your filter (not the tank water). Really what they do is complete the nitrogen cycle from Ammonia to Nitrite and then to Nitrate. A cycled aquarium will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a consistant 10-40ppm of Nitrate. Its the most detoxified version of the cycle. The way to get less of these factors is changing water... for example 1ppm of ammonia would be halved by a 50% water change.
A little tip for cycling with fish is using a chemical called Prime. It detoxified ammonia to a different type of ammonia. The bacteria will still eat and convert it but it will take less stress on the fish. Prime only lasts 24-48 hrs but you will be changing water in that time so it should be used every time you add new water as a water conditioner and to remove chlorine and chloromines from the water (a neutrilizing agent our water systems have in it to make sure we arent delivering bacterial infested drinking water to the masses).
06-14-2014, 08:05 PM #4Junior Member Guppy
- Join Date
- Jun 2014
Thank you so much! I did a 75% water change, waited 10 minutes and the ammonia is .25 now.. the fish are more active now so I guess that's a good thing! Should I test the water every day and do a 50% water change if it goes above .25? what's the absolute max ammonia reading for the mollies and platy? should I test more than once per day? Will changing the water every day mess with the bacteria growing? It sounds from that link mommy1 posted that it's only in the filter sponges and on the rocks, so if I just change the water and leave the rocks and filter alone I can change it as many times as needed to keep it at .25? at what point should I get the nitrite/nitrate test kit and focus on keeping those numbers under control?
06-14-2014, 08:28 PM #5
Yes, keep testing...do as many water chnages as you need to do, be sure to use a good water conditioner, changing the water does not affect your BB (beneficial bacteria)...you need to do at least 1 daily, maybe more, depending on your ammonia levels...you can change 75% with a 10 gallon tank, no problem...that's how much I change in mine weekly
Ideally, you want 0 ammonia in the tank, but you are going to have some while cycling, because your BB colony is not big enough to handle it all for now.
You should get the kit right now, here's the one most of us use: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI
This is an excellent water conditioner, it takes very little to treat the tank, and it will bind ammonia and chlorine for 24 hours and render it harmless: http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043...=seachem+prime
Good luck to you, keep aasking questions, you'll get the help you need here!
Check the 10 gallon beginner thread in my sig...I started out pretty much the same as you, so I understand your situation quite well, lol
06-14-2014, 08:30 PM #6
06-14-2014, 10:13 PM #7
06-14-2014, 11:26 PM #8
06-14-2014, 11:30 PM #9
06-15-2014, 01:06 AM #10Junior Member Guppy
- Join Date
- Jun 2014
I'm really impressed with the positive advice on this forum, I was kind of terrified to post but the fear of making an animal suffer was worse!
The test kits I have are both the API for ammonia and PH, but I bought them separately- I will check the store I got them from for the nitrate/nitrite one tomorrow.
I will most likely be back with more questions regarding those test results, but now I will test 2x per day and keep the ammonia at .25.
My fish and I thank you!!