· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Really confused, need help.

2 Not allowed!
    I will try to post as much info as I can because I need help!
    I got a 10 gallon aquarium with a aquatech filter for 10-20 gallon aquariums from a friend.
    I went to the petstore to get a heater and thermometer, because they said at the pet store tropical fish are prettier.
    I set up the tank with 4 platy's, within 2 days three of them were dead. So, Monday I set up the tank and got 4 platies, Wednesday two of them died, Thursday the third one died, then I went to the pet store Thursday night and they said 2 sailfin mollies and the one remaining platy would be good in the tank so I got 2 of the mollies. They told me to test the ph and ammonia so I did, the ph was 7.2 and the ammonia .25. on Thursday night. I wasn't told anything at all about "cycling" and I still really don't understand it, I just want to try to save these fish. All 3 of them are doing really good BUT the ammonia was .50 before water change and after water change (25%) this morning at 6am (its 3pm now)
    So right now my tank is like this:
    10 gallon, this is the 6th day it has had fish in it. I feed them what they can eat in 1 minute.
    2 sailfin mollies and a sunset platy.
    Water temp: 24C (75F)
    PH: 7.6
    Ammonia: 1.0
    The fish look to be okay, swimming around a lot and eating normally. But I know ammonia is toxic.
    I live really far from the city/any pet stores but I could make it there if it'll save these fish.
    Can anyone help me? I don't understand why the pet store people didn't explain this to me, and I really want these fish to make it through cycling if possible!

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

3 Not allowed!
    Before you do anything else you need to do a big water change, at least 75% needs to be changed to bring the ammonia down. After the water change, read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 then come back here with any questions.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

3 Not allowed!
    Ok so this is the problem with fish stores... they never interview the customer to see if the fish they are selling are going into a prepared home... No fault of yours so lets get down to how to fix this:

First - it would be good to invest in a test kit. You dont want to rely on the pet store for their cheap strips that are often inacurate.

Second - you are now doing what is called cycling with fish. You have the right fish for it at least because they are a little more hearty than others. What your goal is going to be is keeping ammonia at or below .25ppm (parts per million) until you no longer get any. Once you have none you are cycled and youre good to go...

A little more in depth of what the cycle is: Its an establishment of a colony of bacteria that "eat" ammonia in your filter (not the tank water). Really what they do is complete the nitrogen cycle from Ammonia to Nitrite and then to Nitrate. A cycled aquarium will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a consistant 10-40ppm of Nitrate. Its the most detoxified version of the cycle. The way to get less of these factors is changing water... for example 1ppm of ammonia would be halved by a 50% water change.

A little tip for cycling with fish is using a chemical called Prime. It detoxified ammonia to a different type of ammonia. The bacteria will still eat and convert it but it will take less stress on the fish. Prime only lasts 24-48 hrs but you will be changing water in that time so it should be used every time you add new water as a water conditioner and to remove chlorine and chloromines from the water (a neutrilizing agent our water systems have in it to make sure we arent delivering bacterial infested drinking water to the masses).
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much! I did a 75% water change, waited 10 minutes and the ammonia is .25 now.. the fish are more active now so I guess that's a good thing! Should I test the water every day and do a 50% water change if it goes above .25? what's the absolute max ammonia reading for the mollies and platy? should I test more than once per day? Will changing the water every day mess with the bacteria growing? It sounds from that link mommy1 posted that it's only in the filter sponges and on the rocks, so if I just change the water and leave the rocks and filter alone I can change it as many times as needed to keep it at .25? at what point should I get the nitrite/nitrate test kit and focus on keeping those numbers under control?
    thanks again!

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, keep testing...do as many water chnages as you need to do, be sure to use a good water conditioner, changing the water does not affect your BB (beneficial bacteria)...you need to do at least 1 daily, maybe more, depending on your ammonia levels...you can change 75% with a 10 gallon tank, no problem...that's how much I change in mine weekly

Ideally, you want 0 ammonia in the tank, but you are going to have some while cycling, because your BB colony is not big enough to handle it all for now.

You should get the kit right now, here's the one most of us use: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI

This is an excellent water conditioner, it takes very little to treat the tank, and it will bind ammonia and chlorine for 24 hours and render it harmless: http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043...=seachem+prime

Good luck to you, keep aasking questions, you'll get the help you need here!

Check the 10 gallon beginner thread in my sig...I started out pretty much the same as you, so I understand your situation quite well, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetcloud View Post
    Thank you so much! *Absolutely, thats what were here for*
    I did a 75% water change, waited 10 minutes and the ammonia is .25 now.. *Good job*
    Should I test the water every day and do a 50% water change if it goes above .25? *Test morning and night, it should never be higher than .25 ever. You must do sufficient water changes to keep that number low.*
    Will changing the water every day mess with the bacteria growing? *No the bacteria is in the filter, not the water. However, You must always dechlorinate the water first or while filling. Add enough to treat the whole tank every time*
    It sounds from that link mommy1 posted that it's only in the filter sponges and on the rocks, so if I just change the water and leave the rocks and filter alone I can change it as many times as needed to keep it at .25? *Correct*
    at what point should I get the nitrite/nitrate test kit and focus on keeping those numbers under control? COLOR="#FF0000"]*ASAP :-)*[[/COLOR]
    thanks again!
    Read above in red. Glad you are here.

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I so ninja'd you Sandz, it wasn't even close

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I so ninja'd you Sandz, it wasn't even close
    Hey hey - worthy of double dragon sir. im glad more that one person is trying to help.

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Hey hey - worthy of double dragon sir. im glad more that one person is trying to help.
    I agree. The OP is asking all of the right questions, to try to do the right thing for the fish.

The AC is the BEST place to get fishkeeping help, IMO

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I'm really impressed with the positive advice on this forum, I was kind of terrified to post but the fear of making an animal suffer was worse!
    The test kits I have are both the API for ammonia and PH, but I bought them separately- I will check the store I got them from for the nitrate/nitrite one tomorrow.
    I will most likely be back with more questions regarding those test results, but now I will test 2x per day and keep the ammonia at .25.
    My fish and I thank you!!