· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help getting my aquarium ready for fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hey folks,

just made this account in hopes of getting some advice on how to make my aquarium safe and suitable for some fish. I am mainly planning on putting tetras in and other small tropical freshwater fish.

I have a 10 gallon tank with a background made of great stuff foam that was cured and coated in black GE silicone 1, and then covered in black river rocks I bought at the local petstore. Its been washed thoroughly and I have a feeling the tetras colour will have a great contrast with the background.

The type of filter I am using is a sponge filter, which has a 3/4" piece of PVC running up to an elbow joint where the filtered water flows out of. This may not be safe (and let me know if it is not) but I made a hole in the bottom and mouth of a crystal skull vodka bottle with a dremel and then spray painted it black with rain resistant spray paint and ran the PVC pipe up through the base and out of the mouth so that the filtered water flows out of the mouth of the skull.

I filled the tank with several freshwater plants and I used nutrafin aqua plus and nutria fin cycle to get my water ready and I used the correct ratios for the amount of water in my tank.

I bought aquarium gravel at walmart because the pet store didn't have the colour i wanted. I made sure I washed the substrate before putting it into the aquarium to get rid of any debris.

At this point my water is really cloudy, and brownish yellow in colour. I looked up that this could be from the natural bacteria cycle occurring, but my gut feeling is that maybe the cheap walmart aquarium gravel or great stuff foam is discolouring the water.

I have been cycling my tank for about 6 days now and it hasn't gotten any better, so i syphoned all the water out and filled it with a water/bleach/vinegar mixture. I let that run for a little while, of course my sponge needs to be replaced and I took all the plants out (which seemed to be doing fine in the water) before doing so. I am going to scrub the glass tomorrow too and cycle several gallons of clean water through the tank to rid all of the bleach/vinegar.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for completely cleaning my tank and getting it ready for fish? I really don't want any casualties and would like this to go as smoothly as possible. Any and all advice will be much appreciated!!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you use a sealent over the homemade background before putting silicone on it? I dont know much on this but more peolpe can help better than me. Also did you search on here for diy backgrounds.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not on here I didn't, but i had seen several DIY videos of people doing this sort of set up in an aquarium, and I also googled it to make sure none of the materials were hazardous.
    Last edited by samtheman; 06-14-2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: grammar

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You may have missed some steps or videos. That stuff needs sealing of some sort.

Awards Showcase

sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 
    Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 
    Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    You don't have any driftwood in the tank do you?
    If you've sealed it off well I'm not sure why it would be leaching into the tank. Can you take it out? If so put it in a bucket of water and see what that does. Also put that substrate in a bucket and see if that is the culprit. I will say that after that nice bleach cleaning you are going to have to cycle that tank again. No way the BB survived. I don't trust that Bacterial cycle stuff. The best way to cycle a tank is with adding small amounts of ammonia. Go look in the beginner section. There is a thread on fishless cycling of a tank. It might take longer than you expected but it is the best way to give your fish a fighting chance. The move from the pet store to your tank is one of the most stressful times in a fish's life. If the water isn't 100% cycled it could be a death sentence.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    You don't have any driftwood in the tank do you?
    If you've sealed it off well I'm not sure why it would be leaching into the tank. Can you take it out? If so put it in a bucket of water and see what that does. Also put that substrate in a bucket and see if that is the culprit. I will say that after that nice bleach cleaning you are going to have to cycle that tank again. No way the BB survived. I don't trust that Bacterial cycle stuff. The best way to cycle a tank is with adding small amounts of ammonia. Go look in the beginner section. There is a thread on fishless cycling of a tank. It might take longer than you expected but it is the best way to give your fish a fighting chance. The move from the pet store to your tank is one of the most stressful times in a fish's life. If the water isn't 100% cycled it could be a death sentence.
    Thanks for the suggestion of ammonia. I read a wikisteps version of a fish less cycle but don't recall any mentioning of ammonia, I'll give it another read. There is no driftwood, and I can't exactly take the background out as the foam is stuck to the glass, but from the research I did the great stuff doesn't need to be sealed as long as it is completely cured (which it was before I added any water).

Awards Showcase

sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 
    Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 
    Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I only asked about the driftwood as it has a tendency to do what you said your tank is doing. Well put some substrate in a glass of water and see if it turns yellow. Then you can either rule it out or get new substrate.

Read this, you shall find it a wealth of information.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I just read it over, where would I be able to find a nitrite/nitrate test? I am assuming the pet store but they typically have jacked up prices.

Also, I plan on using distilled water, any advice there?

And lastly, I noticed that my water level would drop quite a lot ( a cm or two) over a couple days where the weather outside was very warm and humid. Should I just top it off every now and then? or will that mess up the level of ammonia I added.

If anyone can answer these questions I think I will be all set!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aside from everything else and the great advice you've had, I have ALWAYS had cloudy water after buying in a new substrate - it's always settled by the time the fishless cycle is done. I think they comes with particles and can take a while for every bit of sand or gravel to find its place.
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would not advise distilled water use, tap water has minerals that are essential to fishes health. You can use a little distilled water if you are trying to keep the ph lower. Also in most cases some peoples water supply has ammonia and nitrates already in it. I would test the water directly from the tap with a liquid test kit to figure out what your starting with.