· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Swimming in South Africa

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys :)

As a few of you know I've been on the forum for a good few months now.

I started off last year when I had a 135L tank which, to be fair, was overstocked. After a hard month of getting that tank sorted - it rewarded me by cracking overnight. We were able to save all but one of the Glowlights.

A trip was made (30km there and another 30 back) to the only fish store I trust.

The replacement tank is a SunSun 185L with built in trickle filter running at 900L/h.

We got home and set it up as fast as was physically possible. The cabinet was built, the old canister filter torn open to get the media, gravel scooped out and dumped into the tank. Rocks quickly placed in the same formations as both. The 45L I had managed to save of old tank water was put in. Then topped up to the 100L marked and treated. Fish were carefully transported from buckets into the tank.

This is what it looked like immediately after setup. (I was not happy and promised my parents that I would make this tank look stunning - as a thank you for buying the replacement tank)
    2013-12-01.jpg

This was by the end of the month. (31-12-2013)
    Fish Tank 2013-12-31.jpg

The 14-01-2014
    2014-01-14.jpg

By the 14-02-2014 it was starting to get to something I liked...
    2014-02-14 redo.jpg

More coming right now :)
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. Great progression I like it.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

3 Not allowed!
    By the 15-03-2014 I had started to investigate the world of the planted tank more seriously. Much consultation was had on this forum with a wide variety of questions and help from many people.
    2014-03-15.jpg

And here is how it stands right now. (literally took this 5 minutes ago before turning off the lights for the night).
    11-06-2014.jpg
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Well done Richard! Gorgeous!

0 Not allowed!
    I agree! Looks amazing!

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The full stock list is as follows:

Fish....
    Neon Tetra
    Black Neon Tetra
    Rosyfin Tetra
    White Cloud Tetra
    Glowlight Tetra
    Harlequin Rasboras
    Pearl Gourami
    Angelfish
    Ancistrus
    Siamese Algae Eater
    Octocinclus
    Bronze Corydoras
    various colour forms of the Leopard Danio (some have orange tinged fins, some yellow tinged, some normal)
    Betta females

Plants:
    Hygro Corymbosa Stricta
    Hygro Corymbosa Angustifolia
    Hygro Polysperma
    Hygro Difformis
    Crypt Beckettii
    An Amazon Sword of some kind
    Ludwiga Repens
    Java Fern
    Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
    Stargrass
    Rotala Wallichii
    Rotala Indica
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Rotala Macandra

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks beautiful. Well done :)
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

1 Not allowed!
    You already know how I feel about the tank Richard, but I'll say it again. It's extremely well done! Hat off to you my friend.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

I'm actually looking for a centrepiece fish...something that won't exceed 5cm or so, is bright and colourful, won't spend all day hiding and would live happily in this tank...

Any suggestions?

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    I'd say once it grows up that angelfish would be your centerpiece. Whether you like it or not. hahaha they have a tendency of doing that. I would have to say one of the dwarf cichlids for the size you are after.