· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default What are some good companions for Neon Tetra?

0 Not allowed!
    My father just gave me his 40 gallon flat back hex aquarium, and I would like to know what are some good companions for Neon Tetra. I know that I want a decent sized group of Neon Tetra, but beyond that I am at a loss. It has been over 15 years since I last kept an aquarium, and I am out of the loop. Any suggestions?

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    There are several fish that would be good Neon Tetra companions in that tank.

I'd highly suggest if you have a local fish store to go in one day to JUST LOOK. Take notes on which fish you like and come back and see what goes well.

Things to keep your eye out for in my opinion... one of the dwarf cichlids like an Apisto or Ram pair would fit in nicely. See if there is a type of Cory fish you like as a shoaling bottom dweller.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ Trillianne -

I do make frequent stops at the local PetCo, and Pet Smart, but they both have a very limited selection of freshwater fish. The local mom & pop fish store has a varied selection. I like the Cherry Barb, Golden Barb, Tiger Barb, Zebra Danio, White Cloud Mountain Minnow, and Black Molly. I would love to include a Pleco, but I could not find a specimen that met my AAA standards. (A)ppropriate size (A)ttractive coloration (A)ffordable price

I do like the German Blue Ram, and both the Bronze Cory, and the Albino Cory. However, I prefer the German Blue Ram, and the Albino Cory. However, there always appears to be a very limited selection of Cory in my area.

3 Not allowed!
    May I suggesst you first refresh your knowledge about the nitrogen cycle and, if this is an empty setup, fishless cycling.

As to your fish, no on the tiger barb because of agression issues ad no on the danio because a hex lacks swimming space.
    With regards to "plecos" please take size into account. Stores in your country love to sell you fish without telling you you're looking at a 14 inch adult size fish.

Albino cory is usually a colour morph of the bronze.

With this in mind... start thinking about your tank decor. Cories will really appreciate sand and the neons will enjoy some plant cover.

5. Default

3 Not allowed!
    @ talldutchie

My aquarium is currently sitting empty, but I do plan to refresh my memory as well as run a fishless cycle.

I always have my phone with me when I am browsing the freshwater aquariums, and I try to check the information on any Pleco that I see that I like. However, I have yet to see one that suits my needs. They have all been bigger than my aquarium can house, not as attractive as I would like, or more money than I want to spend.

I was hoping to formulate a stocking plan prior to formulating a decor plan. I hoped it would be easier to decorate my aquarium properly if I new the decor requirements of my fish.

1 Not allowed!
    Good to hear you're going in prepared Bob!

Perhaps I can steer you towards a suitable "plec". What's the footprint of this tank?

7. Default

3 Not allowed!
    GBR's and black mollys need higher temps than neons to my believe.
    Bronze and Albinos are 99% the same species C.Aeneus.
    Harlequins, Kuhlis??? I leave the Plecs to "Plecoholic" @tallldutchie hahaha !!!
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Of the fish you listed I like the Cherry barb and the White Clouds for your tank. If you get cherry barbs you want a male to female ratio of 1:2. The females are drab but the make the males color up more and display more. Wonderful little guys. Not as aggressive as the Tiger Barbs. Be careful with the German Blue Rams. I for one would not buy one from Petsmart or Petco as they are notorious for having bad stock when it comes to this fish (and most others for that matter). lol Alternatively you can check out the Bolivian Ram as it is a much hardier fish.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    GBR's and black mollys need higher temps than neons to my believe.
    Bronze and Albinos are 99% the same species C.Aeneus.
    Harlequins, Kuhlis??? I leave the Plecs to "Plecoholic" @tallldutchie hahaha !!!
    I figured this should work at 25, 26C for the selection. Your opinion?

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I figured this should work at 25, 26C for the selection. Your opinion?
    Believe the GBR's and Mollies are in fact warm water-lovers 27/28C, but I can be wrong. Neons seem to do great about 22-24C. Think you could say : high end for the one and low end for the other.

But I am aware thoughts are a bit different in different countries.
    No Cory, No Glory !!