· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Testing the tank water

0 Not allowed!
    Hello

I set up a tank after 4-5 years of it being sat in the shed collecting mold. I cleaned it as advised by members on here and have now filled the tank with water. I used a declorineater and a kick start the filters.
    I have gone for a substrate and sand as i want to grow plants also looks better.
    The readings I get are

Temp: 24C
    pH 7
    Ammoinia 2ppm
    Nitare and Nitrite both 0

Are these readings OK or do i need to do anything before I think of planting it out at the weekend then fish the following weekend?

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You can start planting now if you wish. But you are no where near cycled for fish yet. If you haven't checked it out there is the fishless cycle sticky in the beginners section. You are looking for reads of Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 and Nitrates < 20 ppm.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Compass. Will check ou the sticky.

0 Not allowed!
    If this was filled with tap and nothing added then I'd be rather concerned where that ammonia reading comes from

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    If this was filled with tap and nothing added then I'd be rather concerned where that ammonia reading comes from
    Sorry got the readings in the wrong way

Ammoina was zero
    Cant remember which was at 2pm Nitrate or rite will have to recheck tonight.

It was filled with tap water then I added a de-chlorinater to the tank then a quick start solution a local pet/fish shop sold me. Testing done 2 days afterwards.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help &amp; points. - metweezer 

3 Not allowed!
    A tank is not going to be ready for fish in two days unless you use a cycled filter from another established tank. Not even with what ever that was in the bottle they sold you. Here is the link to cycling with ammonia again http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4 Not allowed!
    1. You can plant all you want a uncycled tank, but never can you add fish unless your doing your cycle with fish which is looked down on, on this forum and only recommended if no other way is possible.

2. If you bought a Product to block Ammonia it should never be used during the cycling of your tank, since it will give you a false test reading. If you bought a product that is meant to cycle your tank it will not. It will only help speed up the cycling process not cycle it instantly.
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall
    12 plants with dual T5's and dry ferts- Iron, Potassium and CO2
    6-Pygmy Cories, 4-Red Wag Platys, 6-X-ray Tetras 1-Scissor tail guppy.

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails- soon as our couch is delivered.