· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New to Saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone, I was just poppin in to see what you guys had for ideas/setups for 30g long tanks? Im looking to start my first SW tank, and i'm getting a free tank set up. What do you guys recommend for marine fish? Ive done some searching here but Im not seeing anything around my tank size. Thanks!

1 Not allowed!
    You do have a lot of options for a 30 gallon long such as: Ocellaris Clownfish, some of the cardinals like Banggai Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni), many of the different types of gobies like a Yellow Clown Goby(Gobiodon okinawae), some of the smaller wrasses like a 6 line wrasse, Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto), as well as firefish like Red Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)

These should all be good options to look into, and welcome to the forum
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You do have a lot of options for a 30 gallon long such as: Ocellaris Clownfish, some of the cardinals like Banggai Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni), many of the different types of gobies like a Yellow Clown Goby(Gobiodon okinawae), some of the smaller wrasses like a 6 line wrasse, Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto), as well as firefish like Red Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)

These should all be good options to look into, and welcome to the forum
    interesting choices and colors for sure, now which ones could i mix with? I like the variations of clownfish available after doing some research on them, and realize they can for sure get pricey which is ok with me. Any suggestions? I'd love to dedicate my one show case fish and maybe some others mixed with it? Shoot me some ideas ! Thanks

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming that you are doing a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) instead of a reef tank. It tends to be easier to keep fish only as corals require that you maintain better water quality but even a beginner can manage to keep corals in a tank that size with proper lighting and sticking to easy to grow stuff.

I have a 37 gallon 'tall' tank and currently I'm keeping 2 Ocallaris Clownfish, a bicolor blenny and a Royal Gramma. They all seem to get along well except that the Royal Gramma will sometimes lash out at the blenny so that the Royal Gramma can claim its own 'turf'. The Royal Gramma was the last fish in the tank but it kicked the blenny out of it's regular sleeping spot. So while a RG is a peaceful (and beautiful) fish, I would introduce that one last to give the others a chane to get used to the surroundings first. And if you add a 6 line wrasse, that one should probably go very last as they can be a little more aggressive.
    Also keep in mind what you want for a clean up crew (how many and what type of snails). Some will clean glass, some will sift sand, some are better at keeping hair algae at bay. They will also help deal with uneaten fish food and waste.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, one other thing. I've found that opinions on saltwater tanks are as varied as there are saltwater enthusiasts out there. It can really get confusing reading all the recommended information out there. You really need to sift through and decide what's the prevailing opinion on a particular matter and then decide if you want to go with that or some variation of that. The longer you do this, the more you get a feel for YOUR tank and what YOUR tank needs or what questions to ask about a specific issue with your tank.
    Through all my reading on numerous forums, I find that Cliff provides some pretty solid advice. And in the event you decide to do something different that what he recommends, he won't berate you for it. I highly recommend you read the articles he has posted on this site (the links on the left side of the page). I reference them often when I want a reminder on dealing with a particular issue.
    Last edited by OKStriple; 06-24-2014 at 02:12 PM.