· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 137 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: DM's 20g high

Default DM's 20g high

3 Not allowed!
    All I have so far is the tank on the stand. This is what I have purchased to start putting it together.
    Filter: Eheim 2211
    Lights: Current Satellite plus
    Heater: This seems to be the one thing I forgot!
    Substrate: Standard #20 PFS

I also have the Aqueon glass top. So, my first question is do I need to rinse my substrate first? And how deep should the layer of substrate be? I would also like a HOB filter as a secondary/back up. Which size should I get. I'm going to go try and figure out the Eheim now... Never used one so wish me luck!

Awards Showcase

for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos 
    Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly 
    Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    YAY!! New journal!! I'm excited to see your progress. I'd say 1 to 1 1/2 inches on the substrate. Not sure if you need to rinse it or not. If you do, just put it in a bucket and fill it up with water and let it overflow. The sand will stay at the bottom and the lighter stuff will float up and out of the bucket.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

2 Not allowed!
    Well, it does state on the packaging that it's been "thoroughly washed" so I think I might take my chances and just put it in without rinsing.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    2-3 inches of substrate, depending if you are going to plant the tank or not. I quit rinsing sand it's too much work, just pour it in, gently, and let it settle. If it takes to long to settle do a water change.

I would try the Fluval C series HOB filter. One for the size of your tank since you already have enough filtration for double the volume of your tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Fun! New journal.
    You can do what you want but if it were my sand, I'd rinse it. :o)

However, if you decide not to, here's a trick Sandz taught me.
    Put the sand in your tank then spritz it with water to make it damp.
    If you're planting or adding any kind of a hard scape, add it then.
    then cover the sand and plants and scape with a layer of newspapers - maybe 4 - 5 sheets thick.
    Next, start filling with a pitcher of treated water first until you get a few inches in there. Pour slowly so as to disturb the sand as little as possible.
    Then get a large plastic bag and fill it with water. Close the top with your hand, hold it over the tank then turn it upside down so that the top is under water. Then release slowly. Repeat until you've got it full, always releasing the water when the top of the bag is IN the water, not above it.
    Remove the newspaper carefully

This method really helps deal with the sand dust. Your tank will still be a bit cloudy for a day or two but that's a lot better than for a week or two :o)

Keep us posted.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

1 Not allowed!
    I am planning on using live plants in this tank. It will be my first attempt and given my record with house plants, they will be of the easy variety. Thanks for the filter recommendation.. I will look for it tomorrow when I shop for a heater (how could I forget a heater). Sigh..

0 Not allowed!
    @fishmommie- Thanks.. sounds simple enough. I am planning on scaping this with DW, rocks and plants. My DW is still soaking and I have yet to purchase any plants. Is it possible to add to the tank as I cycle or should I wait to add substrate and water until everything else is ready? It might take a bit to figure out the Eheim anyway.. lol. I just looked at the instructions and my head is spinning. I think I will do as the lfs staff suggested and go to YouTube for a demo.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi DM, the Eheim 2211 is of sufficient capacity to cover up to a 40 gal. Why do you think you need another filter?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Hi DM, the Eheim 2211 is of sufficient capacity to cover up to a 40 gal. Why do you think you need another filter?
    I don't need another but I thought it might be nice to have a cycled filter for back up. Is this not a good idea?

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    It's always a good idea to have an extra filter on hand. You can add to the tank as you cycle but personally I would add the substrate before you start to cycle the tank.
    Last edited by mommy1; 06-09-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.