· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 

Default Cories with weak barbells.

0 Not allowed!
    So I have two peppered cories in a 20H. Not the best stock but circumstances were little wonkie and it's a long story. It's hard to tell if their barbells have reduced in size (they were never big to begin with) but I'm just a little concerned about it. I keep the tank very clean, 50% water changes, trates are inline and there is no aggression in the tank. That is what has me puzzled. I see no reason why they should have weak barbells. They are very healthy, eat like clockwork, never hide away, and incredibly active. I'll try and get a picture for you guys. Thoughts? Am I just being paranoid?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    My sterbai at one point lost all of their barbels... anything stress related can cause it, as well as a rough substrate

It's been over a year and they are slowly coming back, but its something mine have shown too at one point

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing I've heard about Cories damaging their barbels is that they were kept in a tank with sharp substrate.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 

0 Not allowed!
    It is smooth pea gravel.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I have small round gravel in my 45 and all my julii cories ended up with damaged barbells, the peppered cories were okay but they are larger Cory overall. I won't add any more cories until I can switch to sand.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    I have small round gravel in my 45 and all my julii cories ended up with damaged barbells, the peppered cories were okay but they are larger Cory overall. I won't add any more cories until I can switch to sand.
    It's just difficult for me to tell. As I'm sure you are aware Judi, there are two schools of thought on this. One being they need sand only and the other saying that substrate doesn't hurt barbells just poor water quality. Personally I'm inclined to believe the second but it doesn't fit with what is going on in this tank.

1 Not allowed!
    Compass, Nitrate tends to hug the gravel in tanks with low circulation. Little low GPH pump aimed along your substrate can help out. Did in my tanks; all my cories are properly bewhiskered.

Dave

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Well I know for sure with my tank water quality was not an issue :D. My gravel is smooth but larger than pea size so I think it was just too hard on their little barbels when they were foraging....

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
    Compass, Nitrate tends to hug the gravel in tanks with low circulation. Little low GPH pump aimed along your substrate can help out. Did in my tanks; all my cories are properly bewhiskered.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, I do siphon water from the bottom as much as possible but there is low circulation in this tank, I've got something I can try so I'll do that.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keeping several Corys on gravel and sand. The Peppers on gravel do have the longest barbels I know. Really think it is a bacterial issue what possible has to do with waterflow over it / through it as mentioned !!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402339880.810549.jpg
    No Cory, No Glory !!