· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default injured rummynose

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Rummynose that's looking a little under the weather.
    I suspect he's injured but I'm not ruling out some illness.

a little background:
    • The tank was taking a while to cycle but finally stabilised a few days ago.
    • Today I noticed the rummy's condition when I went to feed and prepare for water change
    • There have been no signs of problems before (feeding/schooling etc.)

here's a quick video (hope it's clear enough to see)

some of my observations:
    • He's darkened when looked at from above (between the top of the head and the dorsal fin))
    • always swimming on a downward angle
    • His belly seems to be concave
    • Seems fine externally (no damaged scales or fins)
    • eyes appear to be normal too
    • still eating well
    • isn't being harassed by the platies or the other tetras
    • he still has his red face

any ideas about what's happening?

2 Not allowed!
    Rummy nose tetras are quite sensitive fish. Considering that your tank is cycling up until recently, my first guess would be that this somehow adversely affected the fish.

My second guess would be that. If you haven't treated them for anything, that some internal infection contracted at the pet store is beginning to rear it's ugly head.

On another note, have you considered adding more decorations, such as plastic plants, to the tank? Your aquarium is somewhat sparse as of now, and some cover would both make the fish feel more secure and also diffuse the flow from your filter.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    If you haven't treated them for anything, that some internal infection contracted at the pet store is beginning to rear it's ugly head.
    that was my worst fear. I was hoping it was something more simple like burning himself on the heater

Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    On another note, have you considered adding more decorations, such as plastic plants, to the tank? Your aquarium is somewhat sparse as of now, and some cover would both make the fish feel more secure and also diffuse the flow from your filter.
    yes I have. I was thinking of a real plant to add in there, I have that cow and I'm looking to add a few more fish but it's only a 20L tank so it can get crowded quickly

2 Not allowed!
    There are medicated foods available that can kill the parasitic nematodes in your fish. Get one that has the active ingredient in garlic in it. The nematodes can't metabolize the garlic, and slowly starve to death. Feed that food at least three small meals a day for six weeks to make sure the worms are gone.

Dave

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so the issue is worms?

2 Not allowed!
    To this day most rummynose are wild caught. Normally, the worms don't affect the fishes in nature. The stress of capture, shipping, netted at the shop, etc can depress the fish's immune system, leading to the worms becoming a danger.

As an aside, I've long crushed fresh garlic over pelleted foods a few minutes before feeding to all new arrivals for six weeks.

Your fish's sunken belly screams nematode worms to me.

Dave

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I minced some garlic and mixed it with water and food (and a drop of water conditioner)
    fed them first thing this morning. never seen these fish go so crazy for food

he seemed to look better anyway. swimming level and looking less "bruised".
    doesn't have as much color as he did yesterday though.

he was still eating well so I'm hopeful.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    big thanks to everyone's help.
    the fish is looking a lot better and it won't be long before I cant tell him apart from the others.

I'll keep up the garlic food for six weeks as suggested but I'll change the water more frequently because the smell stays in the room.

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear your rummy is doing better...I love mine, they are great fish

Do try to get some more plants in that tank, they'll appreciate the cover...and they'd be less prone to stress in a group of 10 or more

Sorry if I missed it, but what size tank is this, and how is it filtered?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the rummynose in question didn't make it :(

found him in the morning on the substrate with a hole in his belly (literally through and through).
    not sure what happened because he looked like he was improving.

should I be concerned about the hole in the dead fish's belly? did the other fish eat him and possibly consume worms?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Do try to get some more plants in that tank, they'll appreciate the cover...and they'd be less prone to stress in a group of 10 or more

Sorry if I missed it, but what size tank is this, and how is it filtered?
    the tank i have is like this one
    that is not where I purchased it from. it's just what came up when I googled the model number. sold here under the aqua one brand.
    it's a 20L (about 5USgal)
    the filter starts with plastic bio balls, then goes through a foam filter with a bag of carbon in the middle and the last chamber has ceramic filter media.

I was wanting to put live plants in at some point but haven't started the research to decide on which plant/s to bring in.