· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Are discus Really that difficult to keep ?

0 Not allowed!
    I was watching this video on YouTube and this man who sells and raises discus made a really good point on discus being difficult. He said that the only reason people claim discus are so hard to keep is because of their price. If discus weren't as expensive as they are they wouldn't get as many complaints for care. Then he went on to make a another good point he said people kill neon tetras every day but nobody complains about them being hard to care for because of how cheap they are. So that kinda makes me wonder are they really that difficult?

Awards Showcase

Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 
    Merry Christmas - steeler58 Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    I would tell you we are heavy in discus-sion about this here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117753

I have kept and bred discus for years and they are less fragile than blue rams... Also look for KevinVa's journal and on the last few pages there is his notes from yesterdays speach he attended from Discus Hans.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 
    Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    It's not that they're difficult but like any species they have certain requirements to thrive not just survive. Lots of clean warm water, stable ph, quality food. Many people buy juveniles because they're cheaper but they're more difficult to raise as they need multiple feedings per day and to keep nitrates below 10 ppm that means daily large water changes. You should value your fish equally whether it costs $2.00 or $200.00 and give all the care they need to thrive.

4. Default

4 Not allowed!
    As Sandz and Judi have mentioned above, and quite honestly in my long experience, discus are really a snap to keep, so long as you get reasonably good-sized fish to begin with (4" or larger is best, since they will have been grown out healthily, to a decent shape, and will have a well-developed immune system); obtain them from a known fully reliable supplier of quality discus; and give them lots of fresh clean water changes and a nourishing diet.

It may help you to go through my 6 Cardinal Rules for Discus Newbies to Follow, to ensure success at keeping discus. It's a Sticky located here in the Discus section.
    If you should decide to give it a go, best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to PM me anytime if I can be of any help whatsoever along the way.
    Regards,
    Paul

0 Not allowed!
    Discus are doable if you're ready to take them seriously. No cutting corners like tanks that arre too small, incompatible tank mates or poor quality tap water.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

1 Not allowed!
    great advice above. I would re-iterate the frequent water changes and good foods. aside from their price, they will require lots of water changes and nutrition.
    Thar she blows!!!

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    This is a great thread with great replies - and all true. I have recently become the proud owner of 5 healthy 4 inchers in my 55 gallon long. They are unbelievably rewarding fish to raise and as long as you do your research you will do fine. They are picky with water conditions (a simple pH swing from a water change can really freak them out).

I'm happy to see an optimistic atmosphere here regarding discus. If you were to ask the same question on the Simply Discus forums you'd probably be met with "if you're asking, you shouldn't be owning" and "omg your discus skills suck, do 80% water changes every day" blah blah... ignore all this - just use common sense, read the stickies, and especially read the discus "care guides" which can be found online.

I keep a strictly South American tank. Consider grabbing a few low maintenance bottom feeders- this will help gobble up the uneaten food left over from feeding the discus (I went with Sterba's Corys and Zebra Plecos). My tank has become absolutely hilarious to watch with all of the fish activity and during feeding time it's complete entertainment. Everyone gets along well and fish are healthy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept discus for about 3 years now and have been breeding for almost 1 year. I work at a privately owned LFS, and have had the opportunity to speak with many people who have been keeping and breeding for 20+ years. From what I gather, when discus first got introduced to the trade, they were more difficult to keep because everyone insisted that natural water parameters had to be recreated and maintained in the aquarium, all the way down to the tannin-dyed water color in order for them to survive and thrive. Now it seems that through captive breeding in "city water", their care is much more relaxed as they have adapted to more urban water sources. When I first got my discus, I was doing 50% water changes everyday or every other day. Now, I notice that I can get away with 25-50% weekly water changes, just as I do on any of my other tanks, and the fish do not show signs of stress or discomfort. In my opinion, they are definitely not as hard to keep as they used to be, or even as hard as most suggest, but I still definitely do not recommend them for the beginner or the hobbyist looking for an "easy" fish. They are not called the "King of Aquarium Fish" for no reason; they are still a fish that demands respect.
    50g Jag tank - 37g discus tank - 30g discus breeding tank - 26g BF Angel tank - 20H guppy breeding tank - 20L turtle tank - 17g planted community tank - 10g clawed frog tank

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of keeping discus in my aquarium. Wondering what size aquarium should I use. Keep in mind that if I do this I would not keep more than 4 or 6 discus no more. There are many different color and species, can you suggest one or two I could start with?

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think are are any fish in the hobby (freshwater or saltwater) that are very difficult to keep if you do your research first
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]