· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Test Results!

0 Not allowed!
    Water changes dont kill fish unless there is some user error or on rare occasions the water company can do some screwy things.

I haven't read anything in the thread except this last post so excuse me if this has already been asked, but what's your pH?
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino1956 View Post
    Well I'm cycling WITH Fish. So there lies the Problem. Can't add Ammonia. And No I never Cleaned the Filters. I think I have been doing too many Water Changers, being everyone on here suggested changing water every day. I don't think I ever gave it a chance to grow any bacteria good or bad.. At this point, I'll test every day and not change Water until I see See a Little Green Color on the Ammonia Test Results. I had a Pregnant Molly. She died right after a Water Change.Thanks for the help.
    What I would do is test the water, and if you show 0.25ppm ammonia, immediately add Seachem Prime (dose for the total tank volume). Prime will turn ammonia to ammonium for 24-48 hours after touching water. It works up to 1ppm ammonia. This will still show up on the ammonia test because the ammonia test will show the total ammonia value (ammonia + ammonium). On the second day after adding Prime, test for ammonia. If it reads 0.5ppm, do a 50% water change, add Prime for the total water volume. If it reads higher than 0.5ppm, do enough of a water change to bring it down to 0.25ppm.

Keep repeating. This ensures that you have an ammonia source for the bacteria, and Prime will protect the fish from ammonia poisoning.

Now if the ph of your aquarium is below 6.5, and your tap water has a ph above 6.6, then you need to do water changes to increase the ph of your aquarium first, so that it matches the PH of your tap water. Once you do that you can follow the directions in the first paragraph.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-13-2014 at 07:51 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    PH is totally high. I don't remember off hand but it has ALWAYS been high. It was suggested for me not to worry about PH now until Tank in completely cycled.
    Jaysee, The water here in Northwest Florida is the worst. Pensacola water rated the worst in the country.
    Rocksor, I will try your suggestion. Thank you both. Appreciate the help.
    20 Gallon Freshwater
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters
    Neons, Swordtails, Cory Cats, Cherry Barbs

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Still no Nitrites or Nitrates. But I now have Brown Agea. I researched and it looks like this is due to water and not the good algea. Just had my last female guppy die. I'm down to 2 fish.
    I have never in my life had this problem when I lived in NY. And I never once knew about cycling. I just aged the water for 3 days. Put fish in and fish survived happily. I really think it's the water down here in Pensacola. When all my fish finally die, I guess I will start from scratch and cycle WITHOUT Fish. I just feel bad for all the fish I have lost.
    20 Gallon Freshwater
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I am sorry too Dino, this has not been the most pleasant experience for you
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No not at all. This Brown Algae has grown all in Filter also. I have nothing to lose at this point. I went and cleaned the filters out, cleaned off my glass & accessories. Did an 80% Water Change. Well at least the Tank looks cleaner now. I think I'm going to wing it from here. That API Test Kit I bought has never registered any changes in Water no matter what I did or did not do. I'm doing the Tests correctly. This is not Rocket Science. Apparently I just had bad luck. If it ever gets better, I'll let you know. But I'm not betting on it.
    20 Gallon Freshwater
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'd like to bet that it DOES get better for you

But I understand the frustration you feel
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Default Test Results!

0 Not allowed!
    Dino, I am sorry you're having such troubles. I agree that it has to get better for you.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both for the encouragement. I'm usually very optimistic, but I bet you can't tell that from this thread. ;-)
    I just feel like my constant Water Changes have not helped me.
    20 Gallon Freshwater
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino1956 View Post
    I just feel like my constant Water Changes have not helped me.
    But I'm thinking those have helped your remaining pair of fish.

I am sorry that I am not of help to you though. I do very much look forward to the day that you are enjoying a beautiful, healthy tank.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast