· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for the plant people

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20H and would like to attempt live plants. The substrate will be PFS and I would like to stock it with CPD's and Norman's lampeye killies.. oh, and pygmy Cories. I am planning on buying a LED light for it and an Eheim filter. We will be going to a lfs a few hours away on the weekend and plan to buy the filter, heater, and lights then so the tank is not yet set up. My question is, if I am able to find some nice plants, can I buy them and keep them in a bucket or something for the 1-2 days it will take to set up the tank? We only have big box pet stores here and their plants look terrible!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

2 Not allowed!
    that should be fine. If you buy plants online (which I've done before with no problems) they spend a couple days in shipping in nothing more than moist paper.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah they can handle it. Should be no problem. Good chance to see if you'll have any snails tagging along and you can wash them off before putting them in your tank.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    that should be fine, they should be fine. if you arent too sure you can always put a light on the bucket for a little while for the plant. BTW are you planning on cycling with your plants in the tank? live plants can impede the cycling process as they absorb some of the ammonia and nitrites from the water....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Sure, put them in a bucket with a little dechlored water, they'll be fine...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Yeah they can handle it. Should be no problem. Good chance to see if you'll have any snails tagging along and you can wash them off before putting them in your tank.
    Lol.. good point! Snails now officially scare the heck outta me! I've seen the pics.. Lol! I have read the sticky on beginner plants but are there any you would specifically recommend for my set up? The LED's I'm getting are the same ones Matt has (yeah, he sold me too). I would really like java moss, anubias and banana plants but am open to other suggestions.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    that should be fine, they should be fine. if you arent too sure you can always put a light on the bucket for a little while for the plant. BTW are you planning on cycling with your plants in the tank? live plants can impede the cycling process as they absorb some of the ammonia and nitrites from the water....
    I was planning on it, yes. But, I am in no hurry. I could wait if you think it will slow down cycling significantly.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    Lol.. good point! Snails now officially scare the heck outta me! I've seen the pics.. Lol! I have read the sticky on beginner plants but are there any you would specifically recommend for my set up? The LED's I'm getting are the same ones Matt has (yeah, he sold me too). I would really like java moss, anubias and banana plants but am open to other suggestions.
    I have anubais and java moss in my 20H and they do just fine. I also have Cryptocoryne wendtii, C. balansae, and C. undulata. I have two Amazon swords but they've never done well so I'm going to pull them. They do get big so if they had done well, I'd have to pull them anyway. lol

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I have anubais and java moss in my 20H and they do just fine. I also have Cryptocoryne wendtii, C. balansae, and C. undulata. I have two Amazon swords but they've never done well so I'm going to pull them. They do get big so if they had done well, I'd have to pull them anyway. lol
    Ok, I will see what I find. I've never seen crypts in store before but I know alot of you have them in your tanks. Part of the problem with Petsmart is they have all the plants in one big tank with labels scattered everywhere so you don't know what you're looking at. And to ask a staff member..

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    Ok, I will see what I find. I've never seen crypts in store before but I know alot of you have them in your tanks. Part of the problem with Petsmart is they have all the plants in one big tank with labels scattered everywhere so you don't know what you're looking at. And to ask a staff member..
    I never buy the plants in their tanks. No idea what you are getting. Check around though at Petsmart, they should have little hanging bags with aquarium plants in them. They are tissue grown and the roots are covered in gell to keep the alive in the bag. I hate to say anything positive about Petsmart but I like those plants. No chance for snails and they have proven to be good plants. You can even leave those ones in their bags for a few days and not need to put them in a bucket. Make sure you wash all the gell off them first though before putting them in your tank.