· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Beginner Problems

0 Not allowed!
    20 Gallon Tank
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters

Set Tank Up with Filters Running for One Week.
    Added Salt to Water (I now know this was mistake Number One)
    Bought 4 Guppies, 2 Black Mollies, 2 Danios (Glo-Fish. I will never buy again after reading here of the Cruelty to Fish)
    I only have a PH Test Kit (But a Master Test Kit is On It's Way)
    The PH was 7-4 to 7-6
    Temperature: 78-80 Degrees
    Everything good 2nd week.
    Third week, Both Danios and One Guppy Died.
    This morning I Syphoned One Third of the Water Out from Bottom Close to Gravel.
    Added Approximately 6 Gallons of Aged Water.
    Still worried.
    I know you can't tell me much until I give a full reading of the quality of the water.
    But any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I had fish many years ago. Gold Severums.
    But I am trying to keep a small friendly community tank.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming you've cycled your tank?
    "I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?" -John Lennon

"Know that on the night of the Gala Event I shall raise my glass and whisper, 'Fortunato'". -Frederick Sinclair

gallery

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

3 Not allowed!
    "Aged" water won't work, you need a good water conditioner...lots of us here use Seachem's Prime, but there are others that work

This tank is not cycled, you need to either rehome or return the fish, and do a fishless cycle.

If you cannot remove the fish, you will need to do the cycling with fish method, which is a bit more difficult, and stressful to the fish.

Both methods are provided in the Beginner's Forum, under "Cycling"
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did exactly what I just Posted. When you say "Cycled", I'm not sure what that is. Sorry, I just don't know.
    20 Gallon Freshwater
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you.
    20 Gallon Freshwater
    2- Whisper 2 HOB Filters

3 Not allowed!
    "Cycling" a aquarium simply refers to growing the required bacteria that will consume all the fish wast and keep the water safe for your fish

Below in my sig you will find links to two threads here, one explains how to cycle a aquarium with fish, and the other explains how to cycle a aquarium without fish.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Your tank needs to go thru the nitrogen cycle. You can do this without fish (the preferred method, called "fishless cycling") or with fish (cycling with fish).

As Slap stated, if you can return or rehome the fish and do a fishless cycle, that is best. Here is the link for the Cycling thread - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=111

Good luck and welcome to the AC!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3 Not allowed!
    "cycling" a tank is the process of accumulating beneficial bacteria. When you buy tanks and equipment from the store, they are basically sterile. Fish produce ammonia as a main waste product, which is toxic at very low concentrations. in mature tanks, colonies of bacteria convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate, which is much less toxic. This allows us to keep fish in confined bodies of water in the first place.
    Unfortunately not many people have heard of the cycle before they start fishkeeping, and not cycling a tank or cycling improperly (mostly due to bad advice from pet stores) is the #1 mistake of beginners. running a tank for 1 week without anything does not constitute a cycle, nor does adding some "bacteria in a bottle" product" (both methods are erroneously recommended by stores). proper cycling taakes many weeks and dedicated water testing (if you don't have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, please get one as soon as possible).

since you now have fish, you must try a fish-in cycle, as described in one of the pinned threads in the beginner's section.

Good luck!

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for providing some very clear and detailed information! Plus 1 to you! I would say your tank has not finished it's cycle. Just hasn't been enough time. You are going to want to do quite a few water changes a week to keep the ammonia down for the rest of your fish. But it's no safe bet they will survive, hardy though they are. You could return the fish and get ammonia from Ace hardware and finish the cycle via the fishless cycle if you wanted. There is a sticky in the beginner section for that. Also, if you get some water conditioner (we recommend Prime brand), you do not have to use aged water. Just add the right amount of prime and your water is ready to go on the spot.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Geeze leave a tab open for five minutes before posting and my post becomes redundant. LOL
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.