· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default just not getting there

0 Not allowed!
    started up with my first aquarium.

got a 20L tank/filter/pump set, gravel and heater.
    bought a water conditioner too.
    set it all up and read about cycling, added some flakes to start the process.

so far so good but my experience gets rocky from here.

time passes and I go to the fish store with a jar of my aquarium water for them to test.
    the guy says its ready for fish and suggests fish that would be good to introduce first including tetras.
    I select the rummynose because I liked their schooling behavior
    I start with four.
    while there I picked up a test kit as well

I bring them home and introduce them according to his instructions.
    check on them an hour later and they're getting their color back and looking happy
    after another hour they were on the bottom "panting"

I tested the water immediately and saw the water was at 8.4 Ph!!

I did a 50% water change and they recovered.

after a day I started feeding them but the food the guy sold me was too big to fit into their mouths
    I had some goldfish flakes on hand so it wasn't urgent.

weeks pass and I'm ready to get more fish. I test the water then take a sample jar in with me just to see what he does when he tests it.
    unsurprisingly he's sloppy and not scientific with the test procedure. he says my water levels are way off and tries to sell me a product to balance it. I know what my levels are already so I select the next fish I want to introduce.
    when I brought up the issue of the food he tried to convince me the fish are just used to flakes and will eat it eventually. when I repeated that it's simply too big he said they'll grow into it and that I have the right food.

I came home with my three mollies and introduced them.
    that went smoothly.
    a few hours later I check on them and notice one of the mollies isn't swimming with the others and keeps hiding next to the heater or pump intake.
    I think that it might be sick but more likely just taking time to adjust to the tank.

two days later its dead.

the store has a 7 day guarantee on its fish.
    I call the store's manager and tell him about everything that's been going on and he agrees to refund the fish and change the food for a different one.

------------------------------------------- CUTTING TO THE CHASE ---------------------------------------------------

my chemistry levels just haven't returned to normal since that fish died in it.

I had an ammonia spike as I expected and that levelled out and consistently reads zero

but the nitrites haven't. they just won't subside.
    I've tried leaving the tank alone to let the bacteria form but it still wont.

it's been six weeks since the initial ammonia spike levelled off and I recently started using a program on my phone to track the levels.

any idea what's happening and how to remedy it?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    Your tank is not done cycling yet. Stop buying fish, keep testing daily, and change water anytime the ammonia or nitrite get over .25ppm. The pH will continue to fluctuate during cycling.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just to be clear.
    I made sure the tank was fully cycled and stable after the rummynoses were added.
    The discrepancy between my results and the kid at the store I'll put down to his sloppy method (he wasn't agitating the solutions adequately and using his visibly grubby hands to cover the test tubes etc.)

I saw spikes in ammonia, then nitrites, then the nitrites diminished.
    it just seems after the mollies (including the sick one that soon died) the nitrite spike just isn't diminishing.

could this be indicative of something more concerning or am I reading too much into it because of the sick molly and my other less than joyous experiences in putting this aquarium together?

2 Not allowed!
    As mommy stated, you tank has not finished cycling yet. This is evident due to the presents of nitrites in your tank. If it was cycled, you would not see any. The stage of a cycle that the nitrite eating bacteria grows is the longest stage. Keep testing daily and complete water changes to ensure the nitrite levels do not get much higher than 0.25.

Based on your chart, it was not cycled before you started adding fish as you never had a large nitrite spike, or there was not enough bacteria grown to support the bioload you added. That would explain your test results and what happened to your fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    It's the thing with cycling with flakes, what ammonia you get can be inconsistent.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for your help everyone. I just needed a few extra days of patience

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear everything has settled back into place.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.