· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Peacock Cichlids not coloring up...need help-advise

0 Not allowed!
    Its been more than 2 years since I logged in. I miss everyone and good to be back.

Anyway, I am having problems with my peacock cichlids. Listed below are the fishes that I have with them and equipment i have setup in my tank:

55 gal tank
    (2) 30-60 gals capacity hang type power filters by Aquatech (bought of Walmart)
    Coral gravel (white)
    Air Bubble Wand mounted at back of tank
    Artificial rock cave bought from Petsmart
    About 6 to 8 rock slates taken from one of the lakes in Stanislaus County California

3 male Peacock (blue/yellow, blue/red and red) -(2) full grown (1) medium
    2 medium size female Acei
    12 (1 inch) acei
    30 electric yellow (from 1" to 3")
    25 (1 inch) peacock
    2 Dickfield cichlids about 2" long
    4 Bricardi Cichlids 2.5"
    2 salt and pepper catfish
    1 albino algae eater about 5" long

Water ph 8.2 (as I use API buffer for Malawi Cichlids)

I do every other day water changes (20%) and weekly water change (50%) and I clean the tank every month.

Water temperature is about 82-85 degrees.

I am planning to trade-in most of my electric yellows and acei next week as the tank is getting crowded. But before my tank got overstocked, I have the same tank setup (water temp, rocks, and substrates the same). Are there any other items I need to do to get my peacocks to color up? BTW, I feed them frozen krill, brine shrimps, blood worms, pellets. Alternating with any of the mentioned so as not to get them bored.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To add to my post, I have had my peacocks for almost 5 months now. I separated the 2 females in a smaller tank by themselves. When I got my peacocks, they were colorful but once they were introduced to my tank, their color just faded off but not to the extend. Please see attached photos of my 2 males.

1010304_10152343651029697_1382795381_n.jpg

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    You have 81 fish in a 55gallon tank. I bet its stress.

Fry or not, territory and space can really be a problem. From the looks of it they are just stressed and it could bethe placement in the new home as well. They may color up once the big guys feel dominant again.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    You have 81 fish in a 55gallon tank. I bet its stress.

Fry or not, territory and space can really be a problem. From the looks of it they are just stressed and it could bethe placement in the new home as well. They may color up once the big guys feel dominant again.
    Once I trade in my excess supply of electric yellow, acei for fish food, I will just leave the 3 large males and juveniles by themselves and see how it goes. Leaving the 2 corys and 1 algae eater school of peacocks should be ok right?

Thanks for the reply.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Guppy View Post
    Once I trade in my excess supply of electric yellow, acei for fish food, I will just leave the 3 large males and juveniles by themselves and see how it goes. Leaving the 2 corys and 1 algae eater school of peacocks should be ok right?

Thanks for the reply.
    Id say good luck to the cories. If it fist in the fishs mouth, its potential food. I have a BNP in my peacock tank so they are usually ok..

Good luck on the long term of the tank. Do you have a front tank shot? Also pretty german red. At least I think that is what the left one is right?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, its the german red. The smaller one that I have (not in the picture) is all red.

So far since their inception to the tank, the corys are not being bothered by any of the peacocks at all.

I think you may be right about the stress factor.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Like a firefish?

I hope the fish color up soon.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Like a firefish?

http://www.petfishtalk.com/images/fi...016a_w0480.jpg

I hope the fish color up soon.
    Duhrool! Duhrool! How I wish! Thanks Sandz!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Trust me, I have one that is a mear 3in and that fish is going to be a stunner some day...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I wanted to mention... being that you have a few male peacocks... you really may want to make that 55gal a strict peacock tank... Your mbuna may beat up on them. I know my red zebra likes to be tank boss over my peacocks. Maybe look into trading for some sub adult Sunshine Mbenga's, firefish, etc and get a nice mixed peacock tank going.