· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Under Gravel Filter ?

0 Not allowed!
    I just set up a 20 gallon long freshwater aquarium on my pass through. I wanted it to be seen from the kitchen and dining room without a filter hanging off the back. So I put in a under gravel filter in and it looks nice but I don’t know if that will be the healthiest thing to do now after reading so many posts here. Any input or ideas are most welcome…

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    It is ok I guess but very limiting. For one thing, eventually you'll have to get in there and clean that sucker out. You are going to have a ton of build up under the gravel. You are also limited in what plants (if any) you can put in there. Nothing that roots. So floating plants and stuff like anubais and java fern that grow on the sides of rocks and driftwood. But even they will send roots down if not high enough off the substrate. I don't know the layout of your house or the place in which you put it but have you thought about hanging a filter on the side instead of the back or front? What about a canister filter with both intake and outtake on the side.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    All I've ever read is negative things about the under gravel filters, but I understand why you used one. I've never had or used one.

A canister filter would just have 2 hoses running up to it...would that be too distracting for what you want to accomplish?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    like slaphappy suggested..more expensive, but a canister filter housed underneath the tank in a cabinet would work as well.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you all so much. I have been reading on Canister filters this morning. I have a glass hood and it only has a plastic strip along the back side to cut for any openings for my filter. I wish I could hang a filter off the short side but I can’t cut through the glass. I am rethinking many things now. I was hoping so much that an under gravel filter would do it….I have much to learn!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK...so I am going to get a Canister filter. Should I just take out the under gravel filter? Do you think it is over kill having both? I had also never though about having to clean underneath it...ugh

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    I'd take it out. Cause like you said just the thought of cleaning it out makes you tired. Especially after you get all your stuff in the tank and all your fish. Fun times. Is this your first tank?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a tank about 30 years ago, so this feels like my first tank. So much has changed. It’s one big learning experience-LOL

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well just to cover all the bases, are you familiar with the fishless cycle? Defiantly the way to go and there are stickies in the beginner section concerning it.

4 Not allowed!
    On an unrelated note, if I read correctly this is going to be quite an open tank. Make sure you choose bolder fish that don't mind being a bit exposed.
    Good choice on the canister filters. Aquarium technology has improved. Over the years.