· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    To Judi Compass and Mommy's points -

Discus costs come from a few things... One, wilds: Capture, Care, Water Requirements, Mortality in transport, etc... Two, captive/line bred fish: There are 3 major importers of discus that can be pushed to two major areas: Asian and German. The Stendker Brothers worked very very hard in creating some of the best fish and partner with Discus Hans to bring them to the US. These are very tap-water ready fish and have years upon years of line breedings to purify strains and colors... They also get shipped from Germany through a middle man... Its not like they come from Fl's Seagrest farms. Same generally comes from people like Kenny's Discus that you see in Judi's tank. Also the difficulty and rarity of the fish plays into cost... Penang Eruptions are a great example... They have 7 bar, 14 bar 5 bar... each bar indicates a better quality because the pattern of the fish can vary that much more. This being said... I just lost a 300 fish in my adult male. His show quality played a part in it, his pattern another and he was 14 bar.

On care / the care of adult discus is NOT what most people put out in public. If I trust you as a person I will flat out tell you 1x / week w/c of 50% is fine for a tank full of discus at 6in. However most people give advice assuming the person isnt a discus expert, may have some delays in getting their w/cs and its just overall best for the fish. discus fry (4in and smaller) require 3x a week minimum changes to obtain optimal size. They also require 6x a day feedings. That is where beef heart comes in... its easy to digest, its protien encourages growth to the tone of about 1in/mo until they get to full adult size and start to bulk out more than round.

Kevin - good research and post. Always good to have another voice confirm this.

As Judi said - Angels will outcompete some discus for food. As you can see in her issues with pairs, discus can be just as mean as angels when breeding. They can co-exist.

I do have a theory... if you were to place all one type of discus in the tank, say marlboro reds, and all types of altums... There should still be pairing but would they act more like a school being all the same color/type?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    To Judi Compass and Mommy's points -

Discus costs come from a few things... One, wilds: Capture, Care, Water Requirements, Mortality in transport, etc... Two, captive/line bred fish: There are 3 major importers of discus that can be pushed to two major areas: Asian and German. The Stendker Brothers worked very very hard in creating some of the best fish and partner with Discus Hans to bring them to the US. These are very tap-water ready fish and have years upon years of line breedings to purify strains and colors... They also get shipped from Germany through a middle man... Its not like they come from Fl's Seagrest farms. Same generally comes from people like Kenny's Discus that you see in Judi's tank. Also the difficulty and rarity of the fish plays into cost... Penang Eruptions are a great example... They have 7 bar, 14 bar 5 bar... each bar indicates a better quality because the pattern of the fish can vary that much more. This being said... I just lost a 300 fish in my adult male. His show quality played a part in it, his pattern another and he was 14 bar.

On care / the care of adult discus is NOT what most people put out in public. If I trust you as a person I will flat out tell you 1x / week w/c of 50% is fine for a tank full of discus at 6in. However most people give advice assuming the person isnt a discus expert, may have some delays in getting their w/cs and its just overall best for the fish. discus fry (4in and smaller) require 3x a week minimum changes to obtain optimal size. They also require 6x a day feedings. That is where beef heart comes in... its easy to digest, its protien encourages growth to the tone of about 1in/mo until they get to full adult size and start to bulk out more than round.

Kevin - good research and post. Always good to have another voice confirm this.

As Judi said - Angels will outcompete some discus for food. As you can see in her issues with pairs, discus can be just as mean as angels when breeding. They can co-exist.

I do have a theory... if you were to place all one type of discus in the tank, say marlboro reds, and all types of altums... There should still be pairing but would they act more like a school being all the same color/type?

This gives me hope that one day I might be able to handle discus...

Awards Showcase

Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 
    A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sandz. That was a very good explanation.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    This gives me hope that one day I might be able to handle discus...
    Chris you could handle them today if you wanted to.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Thanks Sandz. That was a very good explanation.
    Thanks :-) I hope everyone who wants them, ends up getting them.

1 Not allowed!
    The slim coat thing would probably be my only turn off since I love planted tanks

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh also - on angels - they are absolutely similar in care. I have people I know hwo breed discus who take better care of their angels... always struck me as odd but it makes sense if you really think about it.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Chris you could handle them today if you wanted to.
    Seriously, if I can keep discus....Lol!

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, hey now... it wasn't very long ago I was horrible at this...

Read my first post vv lol... speaking of which.. I think we joined at like the same time Judi lol

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    And JJ is rocking it. You can do that pretty easy. Being so close to Hans, I would just invest in one of his pairs and finance your entire hobby. It used to work that way for me?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast