· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Great video Kevin. I really like those Flag Cichlids. I can't say I've ever seen those before. Though I'm not up to speed on my cichlids.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rob. I'm really happy that I found that supplier. They're a great source for information and cool videos. The Flag Cichlids are definitely interesting. I'm currently thinking of using them for the trifecta in the future tank... 3 schools of impressive looking fish. Angels, Discus & Flags, with the addition of smaller dither fish in a heavily planted tank w/ many pieces of driftwood.

That would be very cool to me and it would provide plenty of target fish for each species, so they're not picking on conspecifics all the time.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Awesome. That is really interesting. As someone who has never owned a Discus fish I don't have the experience to say this, but I'm going to anyway. lol I think the care given to a fish is proportional to their cost. Discus are probably the most expensive group of fish in freshwater market (excluding super rare fish). It stands to reason that more care to keep them alive would follow.
    Actually they're really not hard to keep alive :), there's just a learning curve when it comes to their care, just like any other species that you have never kept previously. Thriving and surviving are two different things. Domestic discus have been bred and raised in many different ph levels so they are easier to start with than wilds. I did all the research, had help from experienced discus keepers and still lost 3 beautiful discus and that price for those 3 fish was close to $ 600.00 with shipping. It hurt my heart though much more than my wallet.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=KevinVA;1236850]I don't know how many of you actually care about this, but I've been trying to research this for several months now. I've read several articles and accounts of Discus and Angelfish, in regards to their diets, their natural ecosystem, water params, cohabitants, etc, and I've come to the conclusion that there's a lot of misinformation about Discus, especially Discus and Angelfish living together in the wild.

My curiosity with the idea of Discus/Angelfish living in the wild was spurred by several videos found on YouTube, where fishkeepers would keep both in their tank. Most fishkeepers that do this, will keep Altums with their Discus. The site is pretty amazing, because they're arguably two of the most interesting and beautiful fish in freshwater aquaria.

Altums are just stunning, I've seen quite a few pictures and videos...from what I understand they are very difficult to breed in captivity but I can't say I've really dug into the research of them.

I was also curious as to why it was seemingly/reportedly so difficult to keep Discus, but many people in the hobby can and do keep Angelfish without issue (and without all of the tumultuous maintenance that Discus owners go through). Being that many of the Discus/Angels we see come from similar water sources in South America and if some reports are correct, that they actually live together in the wild, it's interesting that care for each would be or suggested to be so different.

First Kevin, the video of the wild discus is just stunning, the more I see them the more I'm attracted to them. It's really not difficult to keep domestic discus, just maybe more time consuming than other fresh water fish. Mistakes are made when purchasing because of the cost of adults, people starting out may buy juveniles that cost less but require much more frequent feeding and water changes to reach their full growth potential. They may buy from a lfs that doesn't have separate filtration, the tank temperatures are too low, the quality of food too poor...

Many people on SD keep discus and angels together but I think just like discus and plants, you should have a really good handle on both before placing them together. Both discus and angels can be extremely aggressive, especially when spawning and angels are much more aggressive when it comes to feeding.
    So I just think you have to know each individual species separately before placing them together.

I had read and heard on a number of occasions that this simply does not happen in the wild - ie, they never meet. I've also read that while Altum Angels are never found living among them, Leopoldi and Scalare definitely are. I've watched several wild Discus and Angel videos in their natural habitat, but have not found one video to showcase them both in the same body of water. This simple fact was annoying to me, because I'd think that would be a curiosity among many fish keepers/aquarists.

I guess I thought all along they would be together at some point being from the same regions, even if just on occasion.

Anyway, my curiosity led me to H & K Ornamental Fish, which is located in Brazil and has been in the ornamental fish exporting business since 1996. They capture wild fish, keep/quarantine them in maintained tanks, then ship them out. They specialize in saltwater and Discus ornamental fish. I actually posted one of their videos of Angelfish in the wild in a different thread. That was taken from one of their expeditions to the Arapiuns River in Brazil, which is a tributary off the Tapajos River.

Since this company does take expeditions to many bodies of water in Brazil and other countries, and actually takes care to video their experience and catch their own wild fish, I decided to ask them my simple question:

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Okay Judi, you keep the title of "Professor", looks like you have done alot of research, new people take note.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I've actually thought the same thing. I've never kept Discus, but that's my best guess... plus, people keep them in ways they'd never exist in the wild. They feed them beef-heart and other very high protein diets, while in the wild they're omnivores, but mostly herbivorous. They don't get as big in the wild as they do in the aquarium, and who's to say that's a bad thing?

Lol, most domestic discus are bred and raised in bare bottom tanks, when mine were added originally to my tank they probably thought "what the heck is all this stuff!!!" Not everyone feeds beefheart either, mine personally hate the stuff but they do get a seafood mix of shrimp, salmon, cod, spinach, kale, garlic, bananas, vitamins and other stuff. The FDBW I feed have spinach and the pellets are Ocean Nutrition Formula Two which is for herbivores.

Not saying that people who keep Discus one way or another are doing it wrong, but like many things in fish keeping, perhaps there are more ways of doing the same thing right.

Wilds are different, people who have them use sand and wood, even when they quarantine they use a very thin layer of sand because it is what the discus is used to along with subdued lighting. I've actually found that my discus seem the most comfortable with the sunrise/sunset light setting so that is all I am using now.

I plan on a big bio-tope (or at least as close to it as I can get it) setup of Wild Discus & Angels, with similar plans to yours. Would keep cories and large schools of dither fish, as well. Would be fun to create a bio-tope and try to keep it as close to what you'd find in nature as possible (just not as messy).
    I would really love to see this when it's done!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Okay Judi, you keep the title of "Professor", looks like you have done alot of research, new people take note.
    Lol, I'm taking this note to my mother to show her what you said!!!, never did a kid hate studying more than me but now it does seem I'm quite into the whole research research research thing...like that saying "you're never too old to learn". Definitely too old to change water with buckets anymore though

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I did the bucket thing for 35 years too, biceps are not as big but there's more time in the day to just enjoy the tanks.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I've actually thought the same thing. I've never kept Discus, but that's my best guess... plus, people keep them in ways they'd never exist in the wild. They feed them beef-heart and other very high protein diets, while in the wild they're omnivores, but mostly herbivorous. They don't get as big in the wild as they do in the aquarium, and who's to say that's a bad thing?

Not saying that people who keep Discus one way or another are doing it wrong, but like many things in fish keeping, perhaps there are more ways of doing the same thing right.

I plan on a big bio-tope (or at least as close to it as I can get it) setup of Wild Discus & Angels, with similar plans to yours. Would keep cories and large schools of dither fish, as well. Would be fun to create a bio-tope and try to keep it as close to what you'd find in nature as possible (just not as messy).
    One to help you plan for the future.

-Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for sharing, Lee. Beautiful tank!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast