· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Advice please?

1. Default Advice please?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys :) im gonna setup a 20 gallon planted tank next week but i need to know something about my light my light is compact fluorecent 55 watt in what categorie i will be in high light planted tanks or moderate? and how im gonna save myself from algae ? that's what i found on the box i wish someone could tell me if it's a good light and thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I think a 55w compact is decently high (medium-high) but not sure about that spectrum... You want a focus around 6500K

Awards Showcase

A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    I'll agree with Triton. That would be medium to high lighting. He's right that the spectrum would be most ideal in the 6500k range but I think that one will do you just fine. Saving yourself from algae takes experience. I don't care what light you get, you won't be able to control it until you know how to balance your tank. Lighting, water quality, and nutrient levels. If you start getting algae you can;

Lower the amount of time you keep the lights on (start at 6-8 hours)

Make sure you do your water changes once a week (50% recommended).

Bump up the number of plants in your tank. They will out compete the algae.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest with you i can't find anything about the "k" on the box all i know it's writing on the box it's for the plants and it's compact fluorecent that's what i know... and i just bought it :/

Awards Showcase

A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chabel101 View Post
    To be honest with you i can't find anything about the "k" on the box all i know it's writing on the box it's for the plants and it's compact fluorecent that's what i know... and i just bought it :/
    It'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1 more thing compass do i need to dose co2 or any kind of fertilizer?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well, what plants are you planning on getting? Your options are broader because you have more higher light. If you get high energy plants that do best in high light, then yes I would dose CO2. Either liquid or look into a CO2 system. Though I'd probably start off liquid and go from there. As for ferts they will help. What kind of substrate are you planning on getting? Also, is this a 20 high or a 20 long?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well i want to start with amazon sword and umm i don't know give me some ideas i like red plant would they work with my light?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    There are a few good write ups in our plant section that might interest you and then over at http://www.plantedtank.net/.

Just know that with that lighting an Amazon Sword is going to outgrow that tank. They get big. I'm a big advocate of any of the Cryptocorynes. Referred to as Crypts. For the back of the tank you could do C. balansae, C. spiralus, mid ground you could use C. wendtii, C. undulata, and with your light you could try the C. parva for the foreground.
    I'm a little weak on my stem plants so I'll let someone else suggest some of those. Going back to the swords there are several other species of sword that would do rather nicely and don't get as big.

I'm a big advocate of getting a mineral rich substrate. I would suggest looking into Eco-Complete. I've used it and I love it. It will help kickstart your plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Ludwigia is a nice Red plant. Usually in the store it loses its red because of poor lighting but, with good lighting it's leaves will turn back to a nice red and Orange.
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall
    12 plants with dual T5's and dry ferts- Iron, Potassium and CO2
    6-Pygmy Cories, 4-Red Wag Platys, 6-X-ray Tetras 1-Scissor tail guppy.

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails- soon as our couch is delivered.