· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phase 4 of my wife's fish tank brings a tank full of snails.

0 Not allowed!
    Today my wife and I bought 4 more plants for her tank. 1 Narrow Leaf Ludwigia, 2 four leaf Clovers and 1 Java fern. With the 4 plants came a tank full of snails. The snails range in size from the size of a Pinkey nail to half the size of a Pinkey nail. Even with dosing Co2 every other day, Iron once a week and a assassin snail the snails are still there.
    Any ideas? Heard once to put a pice of lettuce in the tank and in the morning they will all be on the lettuce and just pick it up and throw it away.

image.jpg
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall
    12 plants with dual T5's and dry ferts- Iron, Potassium and CO2
    6-Pygmy Cories, 4-Red Wag Platys, 6-X-ray Tetras 1-Scissor tail guppy.

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails- soon as our couch is delivered.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lettuce trick will work, as will more assassins.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You could try a snail trap. There is an easy diy version that is made out of a plastic water bottle.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I'd get more assassins, 5 or 6 more....They'll take care of the problem.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Throw in more assassin snails or do the lettuce trick. Pick them out by hand during water changes. It'll take a while but you'll get a handle on it. Any new plants you buy wash them very well before putting them in your tank. This will help reduce the chance of more snails. You can alternatively soak the plants in a solution of 90% water and 10% bleach (unscented). Do not dip the roots of the plant in this! Just dip them in for a few seconds and then wash them off with dechlorinated water.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    There's ready made snail traps on the market which work well. A bottle trap is also easy. Take a plastic pint sized bottle, rinse well, cut the top off and invert. Punch a few tiny holes to help it sink and spread the smell of the bait. Tie a piece of string to it. Bait with some cooked veg. Put in an hour before lights out and retrieve the next morning.

Problem with a lettuce leaf is that snails tend to let go when you try to remove it. Not very effective.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    Have patience. You said you bought the plants today.

An assassin snail kills to eat, not just to kill. Its going to take him a bit to work his way through the feast on the buffet table, and from the sounds of it at this point you are still adding the snails to the tank, so its more like you are an all-you-can-eat place.

If you've had snails from earlier and are adding more via plants, then you are probably stocking more meals than your assassin can keep up with at the moment. Once you stop adding more to the collection, he will have time to catch up.

Aside from not being particularly attractive, they are not harming anything in the tank. Pick out the big ones and the ones you see on cleaning days and just have some patience.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you have mts - Malaysian trumpet snails. Same thing happened to me. Now both my 30 and 15 gal have a heavy population of snails. Here's the deal: You're never going to get rid of them. Sorry. Best you can do is try to keep the population down in all the ways everyone else has suggested. All of those methods work.

in the for what it's worth department - much as I dislike seeing them on the glass, I think they actually assist in plant grown and keeping the ecosystem in balance by constantly aerating the soil as they burrow through it. I have no algae issues and very low nitrates. the combo of plants and light are most likely the biggest contributing factors but I do feel the mts are beneficial. Just tossing that out there to put a bit of a positive spin on the situation. :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    It's true. Only drawback with MTS is that they breed well. Apart from that they're an asset to most tanks

0 Not allowed!
    I went back to the store a few days ago and they had no more Assassin snails. I put a piece of Cucumber in the tank and 24 hours later only 3 snails were on the Cucumber. No other snails touched the Cucumber after that. I squashed about 5 and still see more. Definitely see holes in the leaves.
    Wife's Tank
    20 Gallon tall
    12 plants with dual T5's and dry ferts- Iron, Potassium and CO2
    6-Pygmy Cories, 4-Red Wag Platys, 6-X-ray Tetras 1-Scissor tail guppy.

My tank
    120 Gallon
    with 2 Florida Atlantic Stingrays and 12 Mystery Snails- soon as our couch is delivered.