· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: ICH Emergency

1. Default ICH Emergency

0 Not allowed!
    Over the past two weeks I've lost 13 fish to ICH. All that remain is a rainbow shark and a peacock eel. Both seem to be acting normal, however ive noticed a few spots on the shark. I've been treating the tank with an ICH medication but it doesn't seem to be working. I've even performed several water changes. My current plan is to quarantine the eel and shark into separate tanks until they're better. How should I go about cleaning the current infected tank in order to make sure the ICH does not return? Also, any advice on how to prevent ICH with future fish I add?

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    What medication are you using? How big is the tank? And what are your water parameters? Please be specific. It will help us, help you. If the fish have ICH I don't see moving them unless the tank they are currently in is very large.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using an herbal ICH medication that was recommended to my by a friend and also by a Petco employee. The tank is 38 gallons. Recently the water was tested and I had high nitrate. I brought it down though and had it tested again, with everything coming out good.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer to use heat and salt. Slowly raise your water temp to the upper 80s. By slowly I mean a few degrees every hour. I would dose salt at a tablespoon per 10 gallons. The heat is going to speed up the life cycle of the ich and the salt will kill it in the free swimming stage. Be diligent concerning your water changes and I would recommend you get an API freshwater master test kit. I am assuming the Petco people are testing your water. They use test strips and those are very unreliable. Testing it yourself is the best way to really know what is going on. You want ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates below 20ppm.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    My only concern with the salt is the eel. I know nothing about them or if they can handle salt. See what you can find out about them. For instance do they have scales or not? If they have scales they should be ok.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They're scaleless, opt out of salt and just treat with heat