· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Finishing off Cycle

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all.

I am about 5 weeks into my fish-less cycling (adding ammonia).

My current levels are:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrites: 5ppm++ (API off the chart)
    Nitrates: 5-10ppm
    I haven't added any ammonia in about 2 days. Should Add any more or should I let the Nitrates process some more Nitrites?

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You need to wait until the ammonia is completely to 0ppm before adding more ammonia.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is my cycle finished? Shall I just be adding 1ppm of ammonia in daily to keep it alive or continue with 4ppm until my nitrate levels increase?
    100L / 26g

Overhead T5 2x39w
    APS 1000 EF Canister
    Internal 800lh P.Head

Hygrophila Corymbosa
    Eleocharis sp mini.
    Sagg. Dwarf

9 x Tiger Barbs
    5 x Bronze Cory
    1 x Albino Cory

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    No, the cycle is not done until you have readings of 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and a reading of some nitrate. Add 1ppm ammonia when the reading in the tank is 0ppm. This could take longer than 24 hours.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    No, the cycle is not done until you have readings of 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and a reading of some nitrate. Add 1ppm ammonia when the reading in the tank is 0ppm. This could take longer than 24 hours.
    Thanks. I think I forgot to taper the ammonia that I was adding and so ended up with too much nitrite. I will continue with 1ppm of ammonia daily until the drop.
    100L / 26g

Overhead T5 2x39w
    APS 1000 EF Canister
    Internal 800lh P.Head

Hygrophila Corymbosa
    Eleocharis sp mini.
    Sagg. Dwarf

9 x Tiger Barbs
    5 x Bronze Cory
    1 x Albino Cory

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Remember to wait until the ammonia drops completely to 0ppm before you add any more.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Patience patience patience.

I've been doing my fishless cycle now for 7 weeks and staring to feel like I have stalled.

The first couple of weeks I was adding 4.5ppm of ammonia and it was processing in 24 hours.

I have been adding 2.5ppm of ammonia daily for 2 weeks which takes just over 24 hours to process.

My nitrites are off the chart and nitrates not budging from 5-10ppm.

Could my nitrites be overpowering the nitrates ability to process them?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You have more bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite than you have bacteria converting nitrite to nitrate. Wait a little longer to add the ammonia. If you have 0ppm ammonia in 24 hours, wait another 12 to 24 hours to add more. So in other words add ammonia every 36-48 hours after you get a reading of 0ppm instead of every 24 hours. This is because you are building up nitrite faster than you are nitrate. The more nitrite you build up the longer the cycle will take. So ease up on the ammonia and let the nitrate bacteria catch up.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You have more bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite than you have bacteria converting nitrite to nitrate. Wait a little longer to add the ammonia. If you have 0ppm ammonia in 24 hours, wait another 12 to 24 hours to add more. So in other words add ammonia every 36-48 hours after you get a reading of 0ppm instead of every 24 hours. This is because you are building up nitrite faster than you are nitrate. The more nitrite you build up the longer the cycle will take. So ease up on the ammonia and let the nitrate bacteria catch up.
    Yeah I haven't added any ammonia in 36 hours. Thanks for the advice you have been great help so far. Ile continue to add 2.5ppm every 36 hours. Just had to take out some dead leaves off my plants to prevent any extra ammonia.

Will the nitrate naturally catch up without any pwc to dilute the nitrites?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it will work itself out eventually without water changes. You can top off with dechlorinated water if it evaporates too much. How big is the tank and what fish are you planning on adding, you may not need 2.5ppm ammonia.