· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default Jason's 75g CA Cichlid Community

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to try my hand at journaling my new 75 gallon Central American cichlid community. Bear with me, this is my first journal

To give a little background, I had purchased this tank from craigslist for $200.00, it came with the lighting and filtration (sump). After much research I finally figured out how to get the sump flowing, then proceeded to give all the equipment a nice vinegar soak (this was originally used for a salt-water tank, so I wanted to get rid of all that residue).

Some of you have probably already seen much of this (at least the early phases) and I wanted to thank you all for your help!

Here's what I got from the guy:

Ballast

Filtration stuff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sump tank

And my little diagram trying to figure out how this all works!

I then pieced it together how I thought it should go

Turns out I was right! (After much help showing me where my diagram was all wrong, haha)

I then went to my LFS and talked to a guy there for about an hour about how to get it flowing (just to make sure my research was right and get it cemented in my brain) and what else I might need. I bought a pump from him (so it wasn't a complete waste of his time) as I saw this picture online:

And figured I'd need something like that... He told me (same as I was advised by members here) it was to help maintain the siphon in the overflow/intake... so I figured why not. It also helps with water movement, which is good

3. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Throughout the next few days I spent my lunches scouting the river by my work looking for rocks. It took three trips to gather rocks in my backpack (longboarding with a backpack full of rocks is a different kind of experience... speed gains wayyy quicker than I was ready for going down the hill along the river!)

Here's the puzzle pieces I collected from the river

And the bogwood I wanted to use

All was scrubbed, had boiling water ran over it, and vinegar tested. All was good!
    Now, time to start getting the substrate ready and begin thinking about my scape… so stoked!

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    My two fish (male firemouth & female honduran red point) are waiting not-so patiently in a 10 gallon tank to the left of this main tank (they were removed from their previous 40g) and after doing a thorough substrate clean I begin adding the black sand:

Once all the sand is in I begin adding water and the rocks:

I have also saved some of the old tank water to use for the sump. As fate would have it, the media from the old tank's AC 110 HOB fits PERFECTLY!

I had cut a few other pieces of foam from the large white roll you can see in the first post, but this greatly restricted flow and the pump worked faster than the water was trickling in.

I decided to remove the extra foam, so I've got a filter sock, a small piece of white foam in the bottom center section, then the bio-media, then the foam from the AC 110, and it seems to be working better. Hopefully that'll hold true over time... I really don't want the pump to out-run everything else!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should also apologize for these photos. The only camera I have is on my crappy phone...

To resume:

At this point (I should point out that it's getting near 2 AM at this point and the wife has long since gone to bed) the new water has all been added & treated, the sump has been filled with old tank water (well, not "filled," but you know) and water is flowing through the sump! I begin acclimating my fish to the new tank water, adding the water into their holding tank in littles over the course of about 45 minutes. I'm watching both thermometers to wait until the new tank reaches the temp that their holding tank is, and in the meantime finish my scape.

As stated, it's near, 2AM at this point, so my main goal is to just get everything in the tank so I have the right displacement levels, so it's not perfect, but here's what I come up with. Again, sorry for the quality:

This is what my little light that was on the old tank

Then I put the lid with the light on. Here's the light if anyone knows anything about these bulbs

Here's a shot with the blue light

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did discover a little leak, fortunately not in the tank itself, but this guy is leaking... and I'm not too happy about it!

Somehow the leak is trailing down the power cord, and doesn't appear to be coming from the tubing... so that's a little wierd.

Just for fun, here's one last shot (for now) of the tank in it's final resting place. Again, I apologize for the crappy quality. I hope to get a better camera soon!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for reading! The scape does need some work, and I'm open to any feedback or suggestions you may have. I think the first thing I'm going to do is take out some of the rocks. I'd like to get rid of the ones that aren't quite as grey and try to create a little more separation of space.

I'll also put up a black background until I can come up with something better.

Also, a question for the sump users out there... I have a little HOP on this thing in case I need to quickly set up a quarantine tank, will that mess anything up with the sump?

My future plans are to add 5 rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) and 1 female nicaragua cichlid (Hypsophrys nicaraguensis)

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Looks like your off to a great start, thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing it stocked.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    Great log. Bet all that took a lot of time and effort. I'll be following too
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

10. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    looking forward to seeing it stocked.
    Me too :) haha! Called the Wet Spot in Portland today and they may have the female nic I'm looking for, they had a few adults about 5" but the person I spoke with needed to have someone else look at them to see they can sex them.

Having a harder time finding the rainbows.