· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Some basic newbie questions

0 Not allowed!
    So we bought a National Geographic 15.8 Gallon Starter kit. It comes with a IPF20 filter that his essentially a power head. Its been rough, we have had numerous fish die during the cycling process. I am starting to remember some of my old knowledge on maintaining aquariums and lets just say I forgot a lot of stuff. My question is after 2 weeks now, I am testing the water every other day and getting 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 40ish Nitrates. I think that doing daily 20% water changes should be my routine, but does this sound right? Also after inspecting the filter, it doesnt appear to be much of a filter. It has 2 small black colored sponges and 1 charcoal bag. I purchased a ceramic bio bag that is supposed to fit inside of it but doesnt. In frustration I just dont like this filter. I remember that Aquaclears are amazing filters, so I purchased an Aquaclear 30. The next question. Since this is not an established tank, can I safely move the sponges from the IPF20 into the Aquaclear and continue my cycle, or will this essentially restart it? I dont really want to run both filters at once, as things are kinda crowded as it is. We have a lot of cloudiness in the tank, which if I understand correctly is a bacterial bloom. When this bloom goes away, is the tank cycled? How can one tell that the tank is truly cycled? My fish store I goto tests the water and says, yep its cycled. I did use API quick start the first 2 days. I use Novaqua Plus and Amquel Plus with each water change. Does this process of using the Novaqua and Amquel with each water change daily, seem like what I should do?

Thanks in advance for help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is cycled when you have 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and some amount of nitrate. So it does appear your tank is cycled, but I would keep testing every day for a week or so.

40% nitrate is on the high side of what is considered acceptable, but in my opinion it is much too high, you should do a 50% water change and bring them down. Even though nitrate is less toxic and fish can tolerate higher levels of it when compared to ammonia and nitrite, it is still toxic and should be kept to a minimum.

Daily water changes are necessary when you are cycling with fish, but 20% might not be enough, I'm assuming there are fish in the tank since you are doing water changes. You need to test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite and change enough water to keep them below .25ppm. Also test for nitrate which should be kept below 20ppm.

If they fit it is fine to put the current sponges in the AC filter. Just continue to check ammonia/nitrite daily and be prepared to do water changes if needed.

All you need is a good water conditioner. Any that deal with chlorine/chloramines is fine.

What sort of fish do you have?
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We started with 5 banded Barbs which all died within 3 days or so. They all died the same day within hours of each other. We waited 2 days and added 5 Leopard Danios and an Albino Cory Cat. After 4 days we added 2 Apistogramma Cacautoides. 1 died 2 days later. Then 2 days after that 2 leopards died. I feel this tank is being stocked too quickly but the fish store assures us that this tank should be ok. We are now down to 3 Leopard Danios, 1 Albino Cory Cat, and the 1 Apisto. The Apisto is beautiful.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    You are correct to think the tank is being stocked to quickly. The fish probably died because they were put in a tank that hadn't been properly cycled. Your tanks seems to be cycled now but I would wait to add more fish until the ammonia and nitrite read 0ppm for a bit longer.
    As for the current stocking, I know the danio are a smaller fish but they are so active they really need a bigger tank. They are also a schooling fish and should be in a larger group. The cory is a social fish and should also have several more of its species to feel secure.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The Danios and Cory seem happy. But I could see where a bigger tank for the Danios would be better. I would like to add another Cory. But as you said, no more fish for awhile. We got a credit on the Apisto that died and will add one later. After the tank is proven to be cycled. We still have the cloudiness in the tank. This should go away soon though right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, the cloudy water is common in cycling and newly cycled tanks and usually disappears after a short time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Danios would probably like a bigger tank, they're very active fish, but they should be okay in your tank. Like mom said, cloudy water is nothing to worry about.
    It'll go away soon. Fish stores will rush you. If something takes a month, they'll say a week. At least that's my experience. Even the best, most knowledgeable fish store in my town does this. After adding fish, it's best to wait a few days before adding any more fish. Your Cory will be much happier with more of his species, but again, wait a bit, then add a few more Cory's. How do you like the Nat Geo tank? I was excited to see their line of aquarium products! I bought their heater to replace mine that went out and love it! Looks like they make some pretty good products!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The tank itself seems very nice. The hood is a 1 piece hood which I am not a big fan of. Tonight the lighting system started acting funny. I opened her up and sure enough. The board under the power buttons was rusted and corroded. The filter seemed nice for a simple tank. But I feel that with a Dwarf Cichlid that filter really should be better. I put the new filter in today and it is nice. Fish seem to like it too. The heater has been very nice. Set it once and tweaked for a day or so. No problems there.