· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinky Cat

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

Default Stinky Cat

0 Not allowed!
    Who knew a cat could stink THAT much???

I have gone from 2 litter boxes that I changed out once a week...to 4 litter boxes that I change out 2X a week now...and STILL!

I changed them all yesterday...and then today 'she' had another super-stinky...so I held my breath and stooped to scoop (I don't normally scoop since I change the litter out completely). Ten minutes after dealing with that...she went AGAIN!!!

It's a cat-spiracy I tell you.

I have only had 5 cats in my life...that includes the 4 we have now. Ms. Stinky is the 1 year old dilute tortie...dunno if colour has anything to do with it. LOL.

BTW...she beats out the dog for stinky farts too...hands down...any day...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Talked to the vet briefly yesterday about Stink-butt. I'll talk with him again when I take them all in for vaccinations...

Most likely cause of her issue is grain allergies...so the first approach is to see about changing her diet. Easier said than done with 4 to feed...

I might have to go in with Cliff yet...and split the cost of a meat grinder...

0 Not allowed!
    I have 12 indoor-outdoor as they darn well please cats. I scoop their pans morning and evening (use the flushable litter). Thus, nobody knows I have cats unless they see them.

Dave

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I switched to a scentless low dust scoopable litter from the petstore. Dr Elsley brand Precious Cat litter. They stink much less now than when they had the scented arm and hammer or tidy cat scoopable litter. I have 2 cats with one jumbo sized box. I did change out their box when I did the litter change to make sure there was no scent left.

0 Not allowed!
    If you cat does turn out to have allergies, there are a lot of different food options out there. IMO, switching to a raw food would be the best, assuming the allergies are not based on some type of meat protein (not very common but still possible). You could try the chicken based raw food made by Spring Meadows, a Saskatoon based company that has about the highest quality of any raw food manufacture in the country. That is what I feed our furry kids
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks...now I have some things to look into!

These 4 cats are indoor only...so I can't let them out. I've been thinking about trying the flushable litter...at least that way I can get rid of the solids immediately. I wonder if it's cost prohibitive though...

Food is going to be harder to solve I think. I've been locking up the 2 one-year-old cats so they let the 2 granny cats eat in peace (for about 1/2 hour). But to keep things easy for us during the morning chore rush (especially if I'm the only one home doing chores) they should all be on the same food...and it has to be affordable. If there was only the one cat it would be different...cost would be no object! LOL...

1 Not allowed!
    It is honestly not much more expensive to feed a cat a high quality cat food than a more inexpensive one. My cats are currently on Wellness CORE, a 12lb bag depending on where I purchase it is $36-40. This size bag does my 3 cats(all of whom are fatties) for a month. Which is about $10 per week which is less expensive than a lot of people pay for grocery store catfood. Animals need to eat less of a nutrient dense food thus the cost evens out over time. The more nutrient dense food also results in less feces in the box.

Now I did encounter a similar issue with one of my cats which is why we made the switch from BB Wilderness. Her sh*ts were so foul that no litter under the face of the sun would even attempt to help the odor. I scoop our boxes which have conventional litter twice daily anyway and we have an automatic box in the spare half bath. But yes...if she went #2 in a box at one end of the house you could smell it at the front door on the other end. This is of course not normal and we learned that she had a mild allergy to chicken which I had never even heard of before. Wellness makes a Turkey and Duck formula that is 100% free of chicken....it seems chicken is the #1 protein allergy in cats. Grains are also horrible for cats as they are obligate carnivores and should never be fed protein primarily sourced from grain as in most commercial foods. Switched the food, vet gave her a round of antibiotics to ensure there were no intestinal parasites or infections and we no longer have to deal with toxic kitty crap.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Now I did encounter a similar issue with one of my cats which is why we made the switch from BB Wilderness. Her sh*ts were so foul that no litter under the face of the sun would even attempt to help the odor. I scoop our boxes which have conventional litter twice daily anyway and we have an automatic box in the spare half bath. But yes...if she went #2 in a box at one end of the house you could smell it at the front door on the other end. This is of course not normal ....
    I feel better now...that I'm not alone in experiencing this phenomenon!

Thanks for letting me know you had the same issue!

1 Not allowed!
    Smellycat, Smellycat! What are they feeding you!

LOL

"Know that on the night of the Gala Event I shall raise my glass and whisper, 'Fortunato'". -Frederick Sinclair
    gallery

1 Not allowed!
    We literally went through every brand and type of clumping litter that I could find, from very expensive to cheap and nothing made a difference. Did baking soda, litter deodorizers, every gimmick out there to control smell. We even bought an air purifier which did help some...however even an airpurifier sitting adjacent to the box still didnt completely remove the smell of her #2s. Even after scooping and having the stuff bagged up and outside in a trash can the litter still in the box had to kind of air out from it and would still stink for awhile. So yeah...I get how it is

Typically events like this signal a food allergy or intestinal parasites get kitty to the vet ASAP and put it on a grain free diet with proteins not coming from fish or chicken. You wouldnt believe how much even that would help.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon