· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of shrimp

1. Default Type of shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

I was given a few of these little guys and was hoping that someone could perhaps identify what shrimp they are.

They should be happy in a 135L with only two ancistrus and two apple snails. If I am wrong please correct me.

These images were the closest ones I could take. (Wish I had a 1:1 macro lens)

uploadfromtaptalk1401307473739.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    how big are they?

Could be "wild type" neos (which is a fancy name for the natural color of red cherry shrimp)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    At most 1cm.
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

0 Not allowed!
    my guess is young neocardina's (wrong spelling)

They occur when red cherry shrimp breed and aren't "culled" to get the color lines going. There is nothing wrong with them, and many ppl like them. I've also heard them called chocolate shrimp

That's my best guess

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds pretty good to me.

The guy who gave them to me has all manner of shrimp in a big planted tank. I think he mentioned that RCS and Bumblebee were just two of them.

Guessing they can interbreed.

How quickly do they breed? I was given 9 but can only find about 3 at any given time. (Though there are many many hiding places in the tank)
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

0 Not allowed!
    if nothing is eating them, they take a few weeks to have eggs and hatch them, then a couple months before those are full grown. But in ideal conditions a female can have 20+ babies

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I think its a juvinile tiger shrimp. The bars are pretty evident. It changes as it gets older. Also could be several of the line bred neo's that are just to young. Even my adult males pale out like that during or after molt.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on the type of shrimp your friend has in his tank, it's possible they could interbreed. Here is a link http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20...nterbreed.html there is a nice chart that shows some of the possible shrimp that could interbreed.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool chart!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!