· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 60 Gallon soon-to-be Reef Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Everyone ! I just had a few questions regarding some equipment, and stocking.

Equipment : I am running a 60 gallon (48" long by 15" wide by 19" tall ) w/live rock, live sand
    I have an AquaticLife Dual T5 HO on it, and I am adding a Current USA Orbital Marine LED system.
    Would this be too much light ? They're both 48" long. Also, I'm going to be adding softies, LPS, and SPS, so I think it would be ok especially for Coral growing if I only keep the T5 on for a few hours per day so my tank doesn't get burnt out ? I'm not entirely sure, let me know what you guys think.

Stocking : I want to get 1 or 2 Ocellaris clowns with an anemone, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 or two bluestar leopard wrasse's, 1 falco hawkfish, and 1 tuxedo damsel. Would that be ok considering how it's sometimes very challenging to keep bluestars ? Many places also say the tuxedo damsel isn't very aggressive, but I want to be absolutely sure before I add one to my tank. And is a deep sandbed a NEED for the jawfish ? I have a 2" deep bed. Considering my filtration, I'm running my tank on RO/DI water, with a 6 gal sump that incorporates a Coralife 65 skimmer, a wet/dry system with life rock, and a 20 gallon refugium with 1/4 a pound of Chaeto, plus a fluval g3 that takes in water after the solids have been taken out by the skimmer and filter media/wet dry first. My Parems are perfect too, no nitrite, minuscule ammonia, 10 ppm nitrate. Think it's ok to start adding some of the hardy fish ? It's been running for a month now.
    Thanks !

0 Not allowed!
    Just a few thoughts about the above:

-With just your T5 lighting along with your planned photo period would be a on heck of a stretch for a anemone, LPS, and SPS
    -Your water parameters are not suited to a anemone, SPS, or the wrasses you listed. They need closer to 0ppm
    -Your wet/dry filter is not required if you are using live rock and can add more nitrates to your water if not very well maintained. Might be best to use that compartment for more algae.
    -You would would risk aggression problems, even with just one three bar damsel, it's still a damsel and there will always be a degree of risk. I would consider a different fish.
    -Yes, you need a deep sand bed for jaw fish along with little pcs of crushed rocks or crushed corals so they can build themselves a hiding spot / cave.
    -Without powerheads for flow, you will develop more water parameter problems and very low flow will not support coral or anemone growth. Flow is a very important part of a reef tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    , What do you mean with the lighting ? As in its enough, or too much ?
    Sorry btw, I meant to say 0.10. For my wet/dry, I have about 6 feet of filter pad for weekly replacement. For the Damsel, a lot of people say its not as aggressive, but I'll take your word for it, I don't NEED one in my tank. They just looked pretty cool lol. 2 things for the Jawfish I had in mind to compensate for the lack of a complete deep sand bed : 1 Having one area of the tank have extra sand ( I have plenty of rubble and shells, too ) or 2 making a small cave area under a medium piece of live rock. Would that work out ? Oh, I have 4 hydor pumps, 2 425gph and 2 600gph, plus the ripple flow from the return of my refugium.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll probably stop the wet dry, it's a bit too much maintainence for a result that can be achieved through easier means.. I figured If there was any nitrate buildup my algae would neutralize it, but I don't know. With the wet dry, don't you get the added benefit of very well Oxygenated water too ?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    bump bump bump

0 Not allowed!
    Your algae (combined with the nitrate eating bacteria that will develop on your live rock) will help to keep the nitrates and phosphates under control once you add a few fish. This would all depend on the amount and type of algae used, but it certainly will help. Having the sump / algae lights on a reverse lighting schedule to your tank will also help to stabilize your pH.

Your skimmer combined with water movement at the top of the tank & sump will provide you with all the oxygen a reef tank will need.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What about the lighting ? Is it too much ? Thank you btw

0 Not allowed!
    Just a double bulb T5HO fixture is too low of lighting (even with the appropriate color temp) to support the planned corals and anemone. Adding the planned second fixture will certainly help this. In addition, your planned photo period is too short

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thanks. I knew the t5 would be cutting it short, the Current USA LED is almost here. I was just worried that my Aquarium wasn't deep enough for that much.

0 Not allowed!
    To put it prospective, a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with very good quality reflectors would be considered a good level of lighting for a reef tank that you also want to keep anemones in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast