· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Aquaticlife Edge LED for Plant Growth 24" deep tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 24(wide)x24(vertical)x18 aquarium and was thinking about getting a new light fixture for a light amount of tank plants. Any thoughts on the Aquaticlife Edge LED? Anyone who has it and has success with plants at those depths?

http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fixtures/edge-led#1

I only had marginal luck in the past with plants with a single 18" compact fluorescent bulb. There has been no plants aside from moss balls for 2 years in it.

My other option i'm thinking for lighting would be two of these linked together. Although I like the transitions that LED can offer.
    http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fix...ual-lamp-t5-ho

Also when as far as substrate I have Seachem Flourite that is about 7 years old. Should that be replaced at anytime (the product says it doesn't) or is there something that I should add to it? I have tried quite a few of the different seachem additives and never really saw any results in the short term (2-3 months ish) in the past.

Thanks
    Brian

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't used those LEDs, but I use fluorescent fixtures from the brand and I
    am satisfied and trust in the quality of its other products (and no, I'm not affiliated with them).

If I remember correctly, seachem flourite does not have nutrients added to it like some other substrates, but rather absorbs nutrients from water and slowly leaches them back to the plants. If that is correct, then there is no real value of "new" seachem over "old" seachem, and you would just have to add fertilizer tablets to the substrate to keep things going.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Light ordered and will be here tomorrow. Kind of nervous that it won't have the light output of my current setup. However LED's may not compare the same because of the various spectrum of output as compared to compact fluorescent.

Currently I have two - 42w 6500F screw in compact fluorescent with a strip parabolic reflector above. Converted from an old light fixture. The bulbs supposedly have lumen output of 2650 new.
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/62709/FC42-MS65.html

If anyone is interested I will do some photos with my dSLR to show the difference in light at the same shutter speed and aperture.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is captures of the current lighting setup (2 - TCP 42w CFL 6500k in a Custom Sea Life BrightLite (old stuff stripped out) with strip parabolic reflector) vs the Aquatic Life EDGE LED 24" at various lighting scenarios.

What do you all think about this being enough light to do some low to moderate light plants? Not anything huge just a few for accents.