· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My ugly tanks.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

Default My ugly tanks.

3 Not allowed!
    Just to show FishDan I am not a liar, I am going to risk all credibility as a good fish keeper and show you my ugly tanks. Keep in mind I am in the process of tearing them all down and rescaping for different fish. Plants have been ripped out and given away and of course I didn't clean the glass before I took these pictures. Please be kind.

Here is a thread I started on the 120g a while back. I didn't bother taking a new picture just now because it still looks basically the same. The only difference is the fish move the big piece of driftwood from side to side as they see fit.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...769&highlight=

My ugly 65g with all but one plant ripped out. The only fish left in this tank is a Panaqolus Maccus. He is the only fish I am keeping for this tank. This tank has been set up for a while but as you can see the driftwood is still releasing a bit of tannins.

And finally, the tank I am never happy with, the 29g. This tank has been torn down and rescaped more than any tank I have ever owned. There are only two brichardi fry I can't find a home for and another Panaqolus Maccus which will be moved to another tank when all is said and done.

The tanks are ugly, but the water is clean, even if the glass isn't and the fish are healthy... Anyone want some brichardi fry and a crazy Texas Cichlid pair?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    lol, Mom, it appears your fish have their mother's personality. ;P In all seriousness, your 120gal has looked great several times. =] It's too bad your fish won't allow you to scape anything.

Also, if I had the room for Brichardi, I wouldn't mind trying them out, but I don't... so, sorry. lol
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    It's too bad your fish won't allow you to scape anything.
    This is part of the reason I am getting rid of them. That and I am tired of them spawning every three weeks.
    Yes, they are just as hard headed and grumpy as I am.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I like the driftwood in the first one...with plants (like you said you had before), I think it is very passable. :)

Maybe the mix of dark driftwood and light rocks in the second tank is part of the problem.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You could be right Azurescriber. I'm never happy with that tank. I get it all set up and think it's great and two or three months go by and I hate it again.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    My tanks are so ugly they killed the forum. Soon I am going to start on the 65. I thought about many different fish to put in there, from African cichlids (which is why I got rid of the plants) to a couple schools of medium sized tetra. I finally decided to get the angel fish from angels plus I have wanted for a very long time. So I will tear it down and give the glass a good cleaning and replant. I know it looks horrible at this point but it's mostly the glass. With just one nocturnal fish I next to never see I just quit cleaning the glass.

3 Not allowed!
    I really do like that driftwood in the 65 and your 120. Very cool pieces. You don't really need plants in that first one to make it pop. The driftwood are the features. You could probably throw some leaf litter in there and Amazon Frogbit and it'd look pretty nice (after a good cleaning, of course). The frogbit would shoot their roots/runners down and create a pretty cool canopy. I've wanted to do that with a big piece of driftwood in the middle of the tank (like a tall stump that arcs up and reaches out of the surface of the water, surrounded by frogbit at the top). Meanwhile, you could throw some Amazon Swords in a couple of spots and call it a day.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    My tanks are so ugly they killed the forum. Soon I am going to start on the 65. I thought about many different fish to put in there, from African cichlids (which is why I got rid of the plants) to a couple schools of medium sized tetra. I finally decided to get the angel fish from angels plus I have wanted for a very long time. So I will tear it down and give the glass a good cleaning and replant. I know it looks horrible at this point but it's mostly the glass. With just one nocturnal fish I next to never see I just quit cleaning the glass.
    And angels are what I would put in the aforementioned tank. =]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What's the ph in your brichardi tank?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The pH is 7.8 and the hardness is 322ppm I believe.
    Last edited by mommy1; 05-21-2014 at 12:49 AM.