· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    That's why I'm leery of the DIY CO2 stuff. Coke bottles full of yeast, no idea how much you are putting in the tank.... makes me nervous. I'd rather wait till I could afford a set up I could regulate a bit better.
    I didn't do DIY. I have a paintball canister that I bought from The Sports Authority (or maybe Dicks - can't remember) and I can just refill it for about $5 each time. It's 20oz, so it should last a few months or so. The regulator was pretty much plug and play, then you just need a bubble counter, a diffuser and a drop checker. The bubble counter is optional, because the drop checker will tell you how things are going, but I use both just because. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I didn't do DIY. I have a paintball canister that I bought from The Sports Authority (or maybe Dicks - can't remember) and I can just refill it for about $5 each time. It's 20oz, so it should last a few months or so. The regulator was pretty much plug and play, then you just need a bubble counter, a diffuser and a drop checker. The bubble counter is optional, because the drop checker will tell you how things are going, but I use both just because. ;P
    Good idea, good middle ground between DIY and crazy expensive set up. lol And +1 on the checker and bubble counter, you can never be too sure with this stuff.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    There are regulators that can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get a very nice one for under $100. It doesn't have to cost a ridiculous amount. You can also pick up a used one for even less than that, but something about used and co2 doesn't quite mix right for me. My $90 regulator (for co2 canisters) came with a bubble counter and airline tubing. That's the majority of your co2 start up cost right there. Otherwise, you're paying about $25-30 for your 20oz bottle of co2 w/ free first filling. Then it varies for diffuser. But you can get a ceramic disk diffuser for about $5-10, a ceramic rod diffuser (like the GLA atomizer) from $10-30, a ladder for $20, or a pump for $25.

Of course, choosing the right diffuser could become more costly, because you'll likely try different things. ;P I tried the pump, then the ladder and now I ordered a ceramic rod diffuser. lol The ladder sucks... not sure why people use them.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 05-21-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    There are regulators that can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get a very nice one for under $100. It doesn't have to cost a ridiculous amount. You can also pick up a used one for even less than that, but something about used and co2 doesn't quite mix right for me. My $90 regulator (for co2 canisters) came with a bubble counter and airline tubing. That's the majority of your co2 start up cost right there. Otherwise, you're paying about $25-30 for your 20oz bottle of co2 w/ free first filling. Then it varies for diffuser. But you can get a ceramic disk diffuser for about $5-10, a ceramic rod diffuser (like the GLA atomizer) from $10-30, a ladder for $20, or a pump for $25.

Of course, choosing the right diffuser could become more costly, because you'll likely try different things. ;P I tried the pump, then the ladder and now I ordered a ceramic rod diffuser. lol The ladder sucks... not sure why people use them.
    I've seen the ladder used myself but I think the disc diffuser looks the best. How well it works I don't know but that is what I'd try first myself.

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181340578680...84.m1497.l2649

I'm hoping it performs the same as the GLA one, which is about $33 + $6 shipping. Not much difference in price, but I'm pretty sure all of these things are actually made in China, so the quality should be the same and perform nearly identically.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. I've not seen that type before. I'll be interested to see how it works.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'll definitely let you know how it works. =] There should be a "mist" effect from this diffuser (not bigger bubbles). The smaller the bubbles, the more surface area of the original bubble of co2 is covered by water, the easier it is for the CO2 to get absorbed into the water column.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a canister filter, have you considered a in-line diffuser ? I am using one on my 90 gallon tank and it works great. I'm at ~one bubble per second and there are no bubble in my tank at all. All the CO2 gets mixed into the water in the return line before getting to the tank. There are a few pics of what I am talking about in the below thread

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111026
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    If you have a canister filter, have you considered a in-line diffuser ? I am using one on my 90 gallon tank and it works great. I'm at ~one bubble per second and there are no bubble in my tank at all. All the CO2 gets mixed into the water in the return line before getting to the tank. There are a few pics of what I am talking about in the below thread

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111026
    Oh that is sharp Cliff. I've not seen that option before. I'll have to make a mental note if I decided to do a high tech one of these days.

1 Not allowed!
    I actually found that style of diffuser by accident trying to find a media reactor on line. The more I looked into them, the more I liked them and decided to try it out.

A friend of mine is also using one and he swears by them as well.

I have never really liked the look of having bubbles in my tanks so this diffuser really works well for me
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]