· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ozonizer and REDOX?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Just did some looking around for different aquarium tech that might make my life easier and came across this Ozonizer from Aquatek (who made my CO2 Regulator). I read about it and I've read about the importance of REDOX in the past, but I'm curious if anyone has actually tried this out. It makes sense to me, but I'd love to hear that it works first-hand, before I decide to jump on new tech, like a UV sterilizer (that I never use, anymore). Might start using it again, but I feel like it'd get clogged w/ plant matter, now that I'm sponge-less. lol This, however, might be the ticket!

Here's what I was looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-ozo...item35b6edb3b7

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Hey guys,

Just did some looking around for different aquarium tech that might make my life easier and came across this Ozonizer from Aquatek (who made my CO2 Regulator). I read about it and I've read about the importance of REDOX in the past, but I'm curious if anyone has actually tried this out. It makes sense to me, but I'd love to hear that it works first-hand, before I decide to jump on new tech, like a UV sterilizer (that I never use, anymore). Might start using it again, but I feel like it'd get clogged w/ plant matter, now that I'm sponge-less. lol This, however, might be the ticket!

Here's what I was looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-ozo...item35b6edb3b7

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    First I've heard of such a thing but looks interesting. If it works like they say it does that would be a great addition for my river tank. They like well oxygenated water with low organic buildup.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    Ozone is used in public pools now to the extend that they hardly use chlorine any more. I know philips tried an ozone powered filter system 2 years ago. That worked. ACtually adding ozone to the main tank... Perhaps I'm overcautious but I wouldn't dare to do this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone#Safety_regulations

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Ozone is used in public pools now to the extend that they hardly use chlorine any more. I know philips tried an ozone powered filter system 2 years ago. That worked. ACtually adding ozone to the main tank... Perhaps I'm overcautious but I wouldn't dare to do this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone#Safety_regulations
    I wish they'd forego chlorine in our public pools (and drinking water), too. Seems a little nerve-racking, when you read the safety regulations, but here's an article I just found that should prove to be interesting (in the process of reading it now):

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Just finished reading the article and I must say that it was certainly interesting/educational. I'm probably going to stay away from Ozonizers, as there are entirely too many things that could go wrong. lol If I had the time, space and money to buy all of the testing equipment, additional water column and continuous carbon replenishment, I might try it... Maybe I will one day, but I hate the idea that one false move could kill my fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh don't get me wrong people, it will certainly work. Problem I have with this particular device is that you have ozone in the main tank. From that article Kevin posted:

The situation is the opposite in the case of ozonizers. They need little maintenance (only needing the air filter cleaned annually), and they are usually sturdy for life. However, ozone gas, which is directly dissolved in the water, is very poisonous for fish, invertebrates, and humans. Therefore, you must be certain you are adding just the right amount into a contact column (not the main aquarium) and the water is filtered before reaching the main aquarium—activated carbon is effective for filtering because large quantities degrade ozone byproducts. Most manufacturers generally suggest adding 0.3 to 0.5 mg of ozone per gallon of water per hour, but I have found that even half that much is sufficient to keep the bacterial concentration in the aquarium very low and oxidize all the organic matter without hampering the power of the biological filter. The problem is that if excess ozone does enter the aquarium, inverts will die first, followed by fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong people, it will certainly work. Problem I have with this particular device is that you have ozone in the main tank. From that article Kevin posted:

The situation is the opposite in the case of ozonizers. They need little maintenance (only needing the air filter cleaned annually), and they are usually sturdy for life. However, ozone gas, which is directly dissolved in the water, is very poisonous for fish, invertebrates, and humans. Therefore, you must be certain you are adding just the right amount into a contact column (not the main aquarium) and the water is filtered before reaching the main aquarium—activated carbon is effective for filtering because large quantities degrade ozone byproducts. Most manufacturers generally suggest adding 0.3 to 0.5 mg of ozone per gallon of water per hour, but I have found that even half that much is sufficient to keep the bacterial concentration in the aquarium very low and oxidize all the organic matter without hampering the power of the biological filter. The problem is that if excess ozone does enter the aquarium, inverts will die first, followed by fish.
    Yep, you're definitely taking a big risk with one of these.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like there needs to be a lot more testing done on it. More people giving it a shot. I mean yeah it looks scary but you could say the same thing about adding CO2 to your tank for your plants. Between the PH swings and CO2 poisoning I'm sure it was a touchy subject when it first started out.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Sounds like there needs to be a lot more testing done on it. More people giving it a shot. I mean yeah it looks scary but you could say the same thing about adding CO2 to your tank for your plants. Between the PH swings and CO2 poisoning I'm sure it was a touchy subject when it first started out.
    That's true. I'm experiencing the ups and downs of co2 right now. ;P

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    That's true. I'm experiencing the ups and downs of co2 right now. ;P
    That's why I'm leery of the DIY CO2 stuff. Coke bottles full of yeast, no idea how much you are putting in the tank.... makes me nervous. I'd rather wait till I could afford a set up I could regulate a bit better.