· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Moving up -combining 2 smaller aquariums to a 37 tall. Need some thoughts on corals

0 Not allowed!
    You may recall I had an inherited bio cube 14 that was coming along nicely. Over the winter I had a 2 day power outage and temps in the house got down into the 40's and that wrecked havoc on my little eco system. Killed a frogspawn and a blenny. Following the outage I continued to run the pumps and lights and change the water occasionally just to keep the live rock and clean up crew happy till I figured out what I wanted to do.
    Now my 21 y/o son is moving home temporarily and then moving back out so he doesn't want to move his 20 gallon long tank twice. ( not much in it either). So I bought a stand for his 20 gal but then realized it wasn't much more for a 37 gallon tall tank that fits the same stand so I got that and we moved both tanks into the one, added some additional live rock and got new live sand for it.

Current setup:
    37 Gal tall tank
    35-40lbs live rock
    Heater and skimmer
    140 watt led lights
    one power head - need to add a second one
    currently just a 6 line wrasse and a clean up crew

Plan to add a sump of some kind in the near future - still researching

So now that I have a much bigger tank and much better lights I'm planning to add a few mandarin goby, a dozen sea horses and a couple carpet anemones. ( I'm joking! Just a little aquarium humor. I can picture Cliff sitting at his keyboard clutching his chest as a pain and numbness runs down his left arm)

I need a few more weeks and some water changes to make sure its stable before I introduce more fish and some corals.

Fish Plans: 2 - 3 ocellaris clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 chromis (in addition to the aforementioned 6 line wrasse)

Coral plans/wants. THIS IS WHERE I HAVE A QUESTION
    Question 1: I have some interest in a bubble tip anemone but concerns about it moving around the tank and killing off things. Would I be better off to add this early on so it can find where in the tank it wants to be before I add corals? Or is this a bad idea all together.
    Question 2: I need some help figuring out a combination of colorful corals with similar water and nutrient needs that require easy to moderate care.
    I don't mind having something that requires moderate care as long as adding nutrients to help one thing doesn't restrict growth or damage something else. I don't mind if I have to feed something once a week but I don't want to feed multiple things that require different types of feedings.
    I didn't have a lot of growth with my zoas in my old tank but maybe the better lighting will help?
    I like acans (but require some work) and green star polyps I like torch corals but too aggressive and requires calcium dosing. I generally like SPS but I have concerns about how much effort might be required to keep them going

Can you recommend a collection of things that have smiilar water and nutrient needs for a happy lower maintenance aquarium?

I'm just trying to map out a long term plan here.

Thanks.
    Last edited by OKStriple; 05-20-2014 at 02:10 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OKStriple View Post
    I can picture Cliff sitting at his keyboard clutching his chest as a pain and numbness runs down his left arm)
    LOL, I love it. After reading the whole post I certainly do not feel that way

The only potential difficulties with the fish stocking is having three clown fish. Once one of them becomes female, she could pair up with one of the remaining males. If that happens, you could see a lot of fighting between the males. If it was me, I would stick with just two clownfish making things a lot easier

If you want to keep a BTA, then I would suggest adding it first, and then adding the clown fish once the BTA settles in. That way, the anemone can both get used to your set-up and having two clown fish hosting in it. Once he stays put, there will be a low risk of it moving assuming stable water conditions, flow, and lighting. But you also have to keep in mind, once the BTA is happy, it could start to split, followed by one of the two anemones moving to a new spot. It's not uncommon to have a happy BTA split many times

As you want an anemone, the lighting conditions and water parameters required for them will also meet the needs of a very wide range of other corals, including acans and/or some of the easier SPS. The only additional effort to keeping them could include dosing supplements for dKH and Cal which are readily consumed by these corals, however, weekly water changes might take care of most of that for you.

Prehaps a collection of LPS, such as acans, brains, and plates might be a good approach. With weekly to monthly feedings, they would do very well in the same conditions that anemones thrive in and are not as high demanding as SPS.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks - I didn't realize that about the clowns. Two it will be.
    As for the BTA, I have a feeling that it will be a 'learning experience' but I'll give it a go and see how it works. Still need more time for this tank to mature. It seems stable but anything can happen.

Also I had been looking at corals from different familys and now I realize that if I stick to one family (LPS) that it simplifies things to have similar needs for most things in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a excellent plan to take it slow and let your tank mature. That will go a long way to help make things easier for you
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update: 6 line wrasse mysteriously died overnight a couple weeks ago not long after my last post. ALL the water parameters checked out excellent. Went to LFS and their tests backed up mine and they were at a loss for why. Possibly I under fed it but there were plenty of critters in the tank and it had just been a few days since feeding it so don't think that was it. Since I was leaving on vacation for a week I decided it best to wait to restock till I returned (which was this past Sunday) Water paremeters were still excellent (no real bio load except CUC for the week) and I added 2 clowns monday and they are doing well,
    Only thing I can think of is temperature swings? I discovered the temp was pushing 82 in the day but 78 at night and realized the cooling fan on the lights was not working. I have that fixed now and it seems to be a constant 78. But I still don't think that would have caused the problem.

Anyway : Question on protein skimmers: I'm using a skimmer rated for just 29 gallons max and this is a 37 gallon tank so I need to upgrade. I'm considering a reef octopus BH100 HOB as I've read good things about them. I have some concerns about it running over onto the carpet but I have read to watch it the first few weeks during break in and then it shouldnt be a concern. Any other skimmers I should consider - possibly ones that might let me hide my heater unit in it? Would I be better off with an in-tank unit? I do not plan on moving to a sump set up as this is a glass tank (can't be drilled) and I don't want to rely on a gravity fed sump system to not overflow.

Thanks

**PS- Reading more on anemones I think I will pass on that and go to a torch coral once things are fully stabilied and stocked up a little.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest looking into a Aqua C Ramora skimmer. Bullet proof skimmer that won't drain your tank at all and you can these at reasonable prices. The only draw back to spray injection skimmer like this is the size of the body. They area little noise, but there are easy DIY mods that will cut back on the noise. I really like the one I have for my QT tank. Easy to use and works great